I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much do i charge?
Posted by: Frank J Harvey (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 10:57PM

I have just started in Rod building. I have built about 6 rods total. WOW! Just kidding. My question is, a few people have shown interest in purchasing a rod, but i dont have a clue to what would e a fair price for my sevices? Heres an example i just completed a 5' 6" Light action rod, with Fuji Alconite guides. I also put a hook keeper on it, Smallmouth bass decal, sealed the cork with cork sealer, put the persons name on it with a calligraphy pen and sealed a 1927 Mercury dime in the butt end, which turned out nice. The total cost of this rod for me was around $60 range. What would be a fair asking price? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much do i charge?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:12PM

YOU will have to decide what is "fair", in respect to a sale price.

However, do be aware that the minute you sell a rod, taxes are due ... and more than one. Plus, you need to have a business license for the transaction to be legal. Have you thought about liability insurance, yet? It doesn't just stop at build and sell.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 01:01AM

I'm with Jim here - how much is your time worth? Some do it for the love of building and only want a small benefit. Some see the real $s that can be made from a quality piece of work.

It sounds as though you have built this rod before a price was agreed upon. You may have to take on the chin what you could have made on it. I find it's far better to agree on a price before construction begins. Just eliminates any questions. That doesn't help you now, but something for the future.

Rod may have cost you $60. What quality is your work? What are other rods in your area going for? What's the guy willing to pay?

There's a great set of articles in rodMaker covering pricing custom rods, although as of late, I've found them to be a little on the low side for my area.

I also think this is the biggest area custom builders can improve on... helping each other with the business side of things.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 01:03AM

Jim makes a good point. How much are you worth is the point. First of all you want to cover your cost of materials , then add on your rent, electric garbage sewer water. Next how much has it cost you in gaining the knowledge that it takes to be a confident rod builder / designer add all that to gather and that is what you charge. Hey I know guys that are really busy, but they give their labor away. Also do not try and compete with they mass produced rods. YOU designed a specialty rod that no one else has. So if you want to charge 10 dollars AND HOUR OR 15 CENT A WRAP so be it. I design specialty rods no 2 are the same My labor is off the wall. My services ARE NOT CHEAP. Remember this if you start out cheap you stay cheap. Question how long does it take you to build a basic rod? Now, how much do you make an hour at your normal job. In this craft be fair with your price. You have to understand those who are answering your question are from all over. I am from Washington State, then you have the Southern California crowd, Next there is the guys from Main to the Sothern tip of Florida Also do not get confused with the term Custom Rod. A custom rod is not all the fancy workman ship you see here or on this site or on other sites. A custom rod is designed for a special purpose for a certain fisherperson. Their fishing rod should be an extension of their style of fishing, that fits them and their needs and no one else. I apologize if I sound like a blow hard , but this is how I feel about this craft. Any one can go to Wallie World and pick out a rod and measure its guide spacing. And wrap a few guides on an make a good looking copy cat rod.
Just my 2 cent I am now off to my hiding place in the Abyss

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 02:38AM

Alex, I'm glad to hear you bring up other builders helping with the business side of things, It's not talked about often. Tom Kirkman's article on the excise tax is very informative too. I'm also contemplating much of the "business" side of this craft, seems like It can be very demanding if you go "all out". Most work I do is based on if I'm comfortable doing it, what they are willing to pay, and if I have time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2009 09:56AM

If you're doing this to make money, then you need to sell that rod for at least $175. That would cover your labor and the FET (which I'm sure you're collecting and paying).

Ultimately, rods are worth what you clientele is willing to pay for them. But if you're doing this to make money, as a sideline business, you need to consider both your time and knowledge. Why sell for less than a comparable commercially made rod that doesn't have the care or craftsmanship yours does?

Date: March 06, 2009 04:34PM

If you plan on making this a real business, You have to have a (hook) pun. In my case my case there was no one with in 50 miles doing rod or reel repair, I started out at home getting a fair amount of home town traffic (pop. 800). Then I got to know a radio sports announcer. His gig was a hunting - fishing program every Sunday night, It was a call in type program. So I would call in and give a local fishing and hunting report. Never once did I tell the listening audience what I did it Was always Bob from (home Town), locals got mad, but they got over it and just laugh. Saying no one would believe my @#$%&. Well the announcer started plugging my business. Which was located at my house. That soon changed (Wife got mad at all these people showing up at all hours). Well I was lucky and found a small store front. That was located near 5 major rivers and was just 45 minutes from the Blue Pacific. All I did was repair and build custom fishing rods. Plus I also repaired fishing reel. I did not sell tackle or bait. It was just my workmanship that paid my bills and made me a comfortable living for almost 30 years. I almost forgot a local sports paper had me do local fishing articles once a week. I got paid for that plus free advertising . I never had to pay for the radio show. An I never paid for any advertising only in the phone book. My business was generated by word of mouth. If you are going to try and make a living at this I say go for it. There are just a few things to remember and they are, pay your taxes, do not believe what locals say about your going in to business, (believe in your self). Also it is not a 9 to 5 job. Most important of all Christmas is the only holiday you get off. I am not lying here guys, You work so others can play on those days. Hey after you start you may think why in god’s name did I start this. Gentlemen let me tell you after you are settled in and get established there is no better reward than have a fisherperson come up to you and give you a big smile/hug and thanking you for his custom rod that you made that caught this huge fish. As for times off you just have to work around holidays, birthdays ,universities and what ever. What you well find is there are lots of days you can have family fun. Then say after 5 years you should have someone trained well enough to find time for special events, like your own special Day, the day you opened shop and saved that first dollar you rang up as a sell. Do not get me wrong I had some low spots, but the HIGH spots pulled me threw. Inclosing let me leave you with these few words. It is word of mouth that well make or break you and LOCATION,LOCATION, LOCATION and there is also product info., You have to be ahead of your customers they are better informed than they were 35 years ago.

Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 06, 2009 05:31PM

I hope my post was not too long

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2009 08:52PM

I was shocked to see you could spell all those words correctly in a row. :-)

Great post Bob. Hope to see you in Woodland in April.

Terry

Date: March 07, 2009 09:03PM

Terry I wel be ther doing my cerk thingiee. It well be great to see you. Oh yes my gaint fus bliw up on spel chicker. Oh well you ges well1/2 to lev with mi spelling fer awhil LOL, Sume timis I kin make sinc
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster