I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hot Handle alert
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:34AM

It has been brought to my attention by (Charlie Smoot) another builder using this design.
That there is one consideration to using this set up that I had not thought of.

So I wanted to post a public warning for those using, or considering using it.

He has found that Creepy Crawlies sometimes like to take up residence and that he has had to evict them.
Something I’d never thought of or has yet to have happen in mine, but I will be keeping a look out for them in the future, and wanted others to be aware of the possibility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hot Handle alert
Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:10AM

There is a spider in Florida especially, called the Brown Recluse. I had a neighbor who almost lost a finger after being bitten by one, He required months of painful therapy. This is along with the other usual creepy crawlies.

I watch like a hawk because they are there.

I'd advise anyone to use some kind of stick to check for, and to evict them, with a can of bug spray to greet them. C2

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:28AM

Have no idea what this Hot Handle is - don't have the volume of Rod builder. But heck if you could loose a finger, what is so special about this ?

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:45AM

The handle is not dangerous, at least no more so than your shoes, or gloves, or tackle box, any and all of which could harbor a spider. Such caution should be for anything large enough for a spider to get into - the Hot Handle is not spider specific. It's just open, so a spider could crawl in there, just as it could a million other openings in your tackle and boat.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:51AM

Then I guess fisher people in Florida should not use it. I like my fingers !

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 05, 2009 12:01PM

Thought about this during the day and the simple fix is to push a piece of foam sponge in each end of the handle when stored.

Then remove it before you go fishing.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:59PM

WHEW!!! The only thing I need to worry about is Grizlies and if there is a grizly taking up residence in my rod handle I have other problems. :)

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: matthew jacobs (216.96.37.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 01:00PM

What's a Hot Hnandle?

Posted by: Cody Vickers (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 01:04PM

We have tons of brow recluse spiders here in arkansas, so many that you have to pull your sheets off your bed every night before crawling in just to make sure there are none in there. Bad part is that you will not feel it when bitten, just two days later when the infection has long since set in, then they often have to cut a crater in your skin around the bite to stop the spread of the poison. If the bites are near any vital organs then they are especially dangerous.

Date: March 05, 2009 01:11PM

Bill,

If people in Florida can't use the Hot Handle, then they should stop putting on shoes, using tackleboxes, sticking their fingers in sunglass cases, etc.

I appreciate the word of warning, but this is getting a bit silly.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (216.96.37.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 01:15PM

Seriously, what is a Hot Handle?
Tom, ther are 99,000 species of vemonous snakes in the world, 98,999 of them reside in North Florida.

Date: March 05, 2009 01:18PM

We reported on Steve's Hot Handle in an issue of RodMaker last year (those who don't subscribe will always be a bit behind on the latest rod building items and techniques).

Basically, it's a TN handle that is mounted offset so the blank resides along the top inside edge. And, it's completely open from end to end. This does away with the need for any arbors, making it super light. It also allows you to put a heat pack inside the handle during cold weather, if you wish. Thus the name, "Hot Handle."

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 04:07PM

If you have a tackle box large enough for a grizzly to get into you DO have problems.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 04:13PM

What issue ? maybe I have it. I hope ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 05, 2009 09:16PM

Volume 11 Issue #2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster