I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hand wrapping rather than power wrapping - why?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:20AM

On a recent post concerning the use of a hand wrapper compared to a power wrapper, I noticed several interesting posts.
It seemed that there were a fair number of folks who own power wrappers but really don't use them often to wrap rods.

If that is truly the case, I wonder why?

Is it an issue of control, an issue of speed, too fast speed, inability to reverse, starts too fast, or is too jerky on the low end?

It seems that power wrapping is the way to go and I am just curious as to why folks don't use their power wrappers, if that is the case.

On some of my first power wrappers using ac sewing machine motors for power, I had exactly the problems listed above. i.e. not the speed that I wanted, not the low end smooth start and stop that I wanted, and inability to reverse the rod.

I was pretty down on the use of power wrappers as well, until I built my current wrappers using dc gearmotors for power.

Thanks for any updates for a a better understanding on the previous responses.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hand wrapping rather than power wrapping - why?
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 01:01AM

I use my power wrapper in a handwrap/powerwrap combo. I get the thread started with 5 hand wraps, power wrap up the foot, and hand wrap my forhan locking wrap. Works great and speeds me up by about 30%. (yes I measured time it took to wrap one way versus other).

I made myself learn how to wrap using it and it's been a big help. I don't even want to think about doing holo/tiger wraps without it.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 06:16AM

I hand wrap the smaller diameter areas of the blank, it is just easier.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:25AM

Wrapping guide and wrapping butt sections and underwraps are an entirely different task. I wrap all bass rod and small fresh water guides by hand on a hand wrapper. There are many reasons why. I need extremely high clearance for my hands to be clear working under the blank for tie off and wrap starting as well as having the work up in front of my eyes for good vision. I use tie straps to hold the rod on the V knotches where the blank will not turn if I release it. I also stay in the same standing position and do not move while progressing down the rod - I move the rod and stay in the same place. If you have a suspension loop hanging from the ceiling at the correct elevation to support the butt section you can work all the way to the tip and never move.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2009 08:26AM

Same as Fred, on the smaller diameter blanks with short wraps I can spin the rod by hand and be done just about as quickly as if I was under power.

On larger rods, no contest - the power wrapper is the way to go. But on smaller, shorter wraps, it doesn't make much difference.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 10:59AM

When I do use the convenionce of a power wrapper, I do not use the thread jig. I hold the thread in my hand.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bert Kinghorn (64.38.153.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:05AM

I have built well over 200 rods for my own personal entertainment during the last 40 years. I have never sold a single rod which puts me in a different class from the many excellent professional builders on this board. For me it is about the process, not about having a completed rod. Using a power wrapper would be like having and using a "fast forward" button in the arm of my chair in the theater.

If I made my living building rods, I would use the best power wrapper I could afford.

~Bert

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:16AM

If I'm going to wrap several rods that day, or with long underwraps, I'd definitely use the power.

You can set up the rollers on the thread carriage to follow the wraps like a puppy and do some good tight wraps.

On the other hand, I know some fine builders that use the power wrapper to make about three turns then burnish. In that case, a hand wrapper would suffice. C2

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:23AM

Roger, my own humble, evolving rod building/rod wrapping thoughts. The more electronic, high technical,expensive, high horse power, factory made machinery involved in the building of a rod, the more it falls into the second of two catagories of"Custom Rods". Catagories: Custom Rod made using mostly human power, human touch and skill, hand made tools and some basic electronic tools....... Custom Rod built using much electronic, high technical, expensive, high horse power, factory made machinery and the human skill to tap that machinery. I am at a point in my life where time for building is not a major factor. The advantages of the second 'high tech' catagory seems to be A. ... much,much faster building time. B. ...Precision/symmetry attained is often extremely high and consistant, borderline perfect! C. ... Satisfaction one feels knowing they have melded- mastered the use of this equipment to the production of a beautiful rod is great! The more 'hand-power'catagory is often the result of economics, space, and plain old free choice preference. My observation has been that the 'hand power' builds may lack a tiny bit in the precision/symmetry area and are rarely borderline pecfect. They take quite a bit longer to complete. I belive the satisfaction the builder feels knowing they have melded-mastered these more basic tools to a custom rod may be a bit higher. I certainly use some basic electronic tools and hope I don't come off as a 'Holier than Tho' purest. We builders all fall somewhere in the spectrum of the the two catagories and as new techniques and equipment become available it is our nature to experiment and choose. Enjoy the wonderful creative freedom we have in this fine craft . Practice and evolve to what pleases you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:50PM

Wonderful replies all and they all make sense.
Thanks again.
Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (216.96.37.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 01:12PM

When I use Maderia thread I use my hand wrapper and I also use it on butt wraps.
Wrapping guides, trim work, marbling and drying my power wrapper gets the call. I do sell a few rods and it being a side project, I'd rather be done a little faster and not be up half the night wrapping by hand. I've built a few both ways and really can't tell a difference in the quality or finished product.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 03:03PM

I used to hand wrap everything. I bought a power wrapper...hated it......used it as a highpriced hand wrapper...forced myself to learn how to powerwrap...Now I pretty much power wrap everything mainly because it free's up my hands more. If I had known about the Eco Wrapper when I started I would have bought one of those, that thing is sweet.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 06:32PM

scott i have the eco wrapper and like it a lot, i may move up to a power wrapper but am in no hurry, the eco does everyting i need,

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:49AM

I hand wrapped all rods for 25 yrs. before getting a power wrapper. All the power wrapper does is turn the rod so you don't have to do it by hand. It will not make you a better wrapper and all other basics are still the same. I use both methods and still wrap all bamboo rods by hand as they do not work to my satisfaction using the power option. However I use the power for most applications and do butt wraps by locking the rod in the power wrapper and turning by hand. I use power for guides and under wraps.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:17PM

I bought an Eco wrapper last year and like it a lot. One modification I made is making a 6ft. long base for it , now it handles longer rods better. Works very well.

Posted by: Joseph C Phelps (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:23PM

Rodger,
Been hand wrapping for 35 years and have not gotten Carpal Tunnel yet .
Joe

Posted by: Joseph C Phelps (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 06, 2009 04:23PM

Rodger,
Been hand wrapping for 35 years and have not gotten Carpal Tunnel yet .
Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster