I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pen Mandrel
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.40.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 08:45PM

I was at my local wood craft on saturday and they were doing demo's. They had a fellow turning pens out of exotic woods. he was using a mandrel designed for turning the parts of pens that are pre drilled. Has anyone used one of these for a reel seat?

I hope it would work because they are only 13 bucks and it would make turning reel seats a lot easier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pen Mandrel
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 08:58PM

They are used by some, but I prefer larger wood turning mandrels in larger diameters as they are much more versatile and are very similar except much longer and can be had in various diameters

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 10:39PM

I've used them to turn grips and they work just fine....but, like Mike pointed out in his reply, you're very limited. The larger mandrels give a much greater range of options.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 06:20AM

I have one and if you turn both the top and bottom tube at the same time in the mandrel it does not run true. If you shorten it and turn one at a time it is better. they are pretty weak as far as flexibility goes.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 09:41AM

Pen mandrels work just fine. Make a set of bushings for the end for the diameter you want the tube to be or just buy a set of big bushings. You can get pretty close to the tube size you want. You don't need a long mandrel to make a reel seat. BTW you can also turn pens which will make rod building look cheap. It is easier to have a short mandrel run true than an 18 inch mandrel. Many folks have found a good 60 deg live center aids in running true. If you are really concerned about the 1/4 mandrel give or take a little depending on the manufacturer (THere are small differences) there is a B mandrel which is .291 as I recall. This is certainly stiff enough. All you need is the mandrel with the nut of course and you can chuck it in a jacobs chuck and tailstock. Right now I use a Beall chuck and collets for holding the mandrels but that is a more expensive way to go.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.40.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 10:52AM

See that is the problem I am trying to fix with the flexing of my longer mandrels I have used before. If you are only turning three inches why have a 18 inch mandrel.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:26AM

How are you chucking your mandrels now? Depending on your chuck you can slide the mandrels through the headstock and shorten up.

Posted by: Jeffrey Van Zandt (64.186.113.---)
Date: March 05, 2009 11:33AM

Hi Sir yes They work well when doing Fly rod reel seats I use them and for a bigger hole you use diff size bushings you can go fom 7mm up to 8mm and 10mm I use them with a small unimat metal lathe and they work the best there are pic in the tool section of this site God Bless Jeff Rhonda and Kaya net pup

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2009 12:58PM

Jeff,

If you are chucking your mandrel into a 3 or 4 jaw chuck, you can push any unneeded length right through the head stock on a wood lathe

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2009 09:20PM

Morris Schlessinger did a seminar in High Point that used a friction drive to turn the spindle. Eliminates the need for a mandrel. Was quite interesting. When he was asked about a mandrel his response was what is that?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster