I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Power Wrap or Hand Wrap
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: March 04, 2009 12:40PM

Being that I am just getting into the Rod Building scene, I am looking into purchasing the equiptment to get me started. Would you suggest a Power Wrap or a Hand Wrapper? Wasnt sure if one was easier to learn on to start...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrap or Hand Wrap
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 12:47PM

Just starting??? Some may disagree but I would say, hand wrapper!! At least until you learn the ins and outs of wrapping and packing.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 01:10PM

ditto

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 01:16PM

Check the buy sell page

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 01:34PM

I would also suggest a hand wrapper even though I have never used a power wrapper. A hand wrapper can be simple or really elaborate.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 01:54PM

Handwrapper. After about 20 years, I still prefer a handwrapper. Have a power wrapper that has never had thread on it> I would recommend starting with a hand wrapper and learning whether you want a power wrapper and, if so, what kind. IMO, power doesn't make it any better, just a little faster

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 03:34PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 02:11PM

My vote is for the hand wrapper to start.

I use the power wrapper to wrap long underwraps but disconnect the belt to use as a hand wrapper otherwise. JMHO C2

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 02:41PM

I have a rodSmith and a Renzetti Inc. I use them mostly for under wrapping and sanding cork. when it comes to guide wrapping. I generally do it by hand. There is a whole new learning curve when you hand power wrap.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: matthew jacobs (216.96.37.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 03:11PM

Hand wrapper fo sho.
I have one of both. I use the power wrapper for wrapping guides and rying but the hand wrapper for butt wraps.

Date: March 04, 2009 03:17PM

Any suggestions on which one to buy, would rather buy than build my own... I will go with a hand wrapper. I figure I will get the drying motor as well

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 04:00PM

Hand wrapper, no doubt. I highly recommend the Sully Wrapper ... look at MudHole, vendor on left.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (216.96.37.---)
Date: March 04, 2009 04:11PM

Mudhole (and other suppliers) offer a Flex Coat "kit" of sorts with a hand wrapper and dryer motor.

Date: March 04, 2009 05:23PM

There was a gentleman at the ICRBE that had some awesome hand wrappers. One was given away at the reception. Maybe Tom can provide his contact info.

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 06:09PM

I built my own. But if a power wrapper is able to be used with out the motor, or as a hand wrapper. ?? This way you have a power wrapper when you want to use it, and a hand wrapper to start with.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 06:14PM

Jay,
If you have the visibility to know if you are really interested in rod building and believe that you really have the ability and desire and means to build a lot of rods, it could make a lot of sense to start right off with a power wrapper.
Start all of your wrapper with a power wrapper and then you don't have to change any habits if you start with hand wrapping.

If you have a well designed power wrapper with very good low speed control, wrapping is a joy and virtually free of hand or wrist fatigue.

If you don't have one of the above mentioned attributes, then it is better to start with a hand wrapper.

As a matter of fact, if you want, all you really need is a cardboard box with v's cut in each end to support the blank and a telephone book to run the thread through to put tension on the thread. Wrap up a few rods this way, and if you find you like it, you can start buying what you might need.

Take care
Roger

p.s.
As I mention above, it is very inexpensive to start rod building. It can, however get very expensive if you decide to go into large volume and or need high speed for rod building.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 08:23PM

Jay; I think the wrapper that William Bartlett is talking about is the Ecowrapper by Clyde Alho.I have a Rod smith power wrapper,also two hand wrappers.I found out after having a power wrapper that I like hand wrapping the best.Have heard about the Ecowrapper,and just orderd one Monday.I liked the reviews and I like standing when I wrap so I'm thinking this one will serve the perpose.If you would like to check this out email me and I'll give you his link.Your email is hidden.<<<<DON>>>>

Date: March 05, 2009 12:12PM

Thanks Don,

That's exactly what I was talking about!!

Bill in WV

Date: March 05, 2009 03:18PM

Hey guys checked out the Eco Wrapper System (hand wrap with dryer motor)... Looks like a great system for me... Found it I think for $212, if you guys reccommend this unit I think I will go this direction, has alot of nice features and is easy to use...

Date: March 05, 2009 03:21PM

Don email me at royalss9@yahoo.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2009 03:59PM

Jay,

It's quite a neat unit. Clyde brings them to the Expo each year and sells out. They've been very well designed and are quite well made. Clyde is a sponsor, you can visit him via his link (The Rod Shop) to the left.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster