I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod handle?
Posted by: Jon Sanders (198.209.19.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:45PM

I'm getting ready to build my first fly rod and I don't really have a clue what I'm doing with the handle section. I've noticed some that you buy have metal butts on them that you can screw a fighting but into...or am I mistaken? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod handle?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:51PM

What weight fly rod are you building? Are you using a large arbor reel? If so you will want a longer fighting butt to keep reel away from your body.
Are you using a reel seat that needs a ported cork ring?
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2009 12:51PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Jon Sanders (198.209.19.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 02:01PM

I'm not sure. I'm using a batsons 6'6'' 2wt rod. I'm not sure about the handle or reel seat. What kind of reel seat would you recommend? I'm wanting to build it to where it's fairly nice, but I can't afford to put a lot of money in to it.

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 02:14PM

A Tennessee handle would probably be the cheapest simplest way to go.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2009 02:21PM

It's not likely you'll need a fighting butt on a short, light line weight fly rod. Any simple fly reel seat, mated to a cigar or reverse half wells grip, will suffice nicely for what you want to do.

Posted by: Eric Burkhart (216.174.22.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 02:30PM

I just got the 6-6 2 wt 4pc from Batson at the expo, also got the new YR style reel seat in gunsmoke finish with the burl maple insert. I got thehalf wells with burl accents to go with it. Most folks like a full cork grip with slide bands for small rods. I'm just not a fan of the sliding bands. if I'm packing in I want things locked down and secure. Custom Tackle Supply and Batson helped me find what I needed at the expo. CTS were great foks to deal with.. give them a call thats what they do...
FYI-Eric

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 03:09PM

This is a nice set up.

The new Y seat is also amazing and requires the HEFRHW7CS-250/865 cork grip to fit. The cork is more expensive but very nice.

F662-2
Forecast RX6 Fly Rod Blanks

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # F662-2DB 6'6" 2 pc 2 wt Travel Fly Rod - Dark Blue
Butt cap: n/a
Reel Seat: U3SKC-SG with U3-RI #U3 Uplocking Shiney Gunsmoke Skeleton with Cap-with Stabilized Wood Rosewood Laminate
Reel Seat Shim: n/a
Grip: FRHW7CA-250/760 7" Fly Grip .250 bore/.760 Reel Seat Cutout "A" Grade Cork
Winding Check: BWC05 Black PVC/Rubber Winding Check .200" I.D.
Hookeeper: HKS Small Stainless Steel Hook Keeper
Tip Top LWHFT4.5 Light Wire Super Hard Chrome Fly Top 4.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) LWHSFGP Light Wire Single Foot Fly Guide Super Hard Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) LTCUDUG UD guide with Light PVD TiCH Plating with PDV Blue TiO Coated Zirconium Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st LWHSFGP2 4"
2nd LWHSFGP2 8.5"
3rd LWHSFGP2 13.5"
4th LWHSFGP3 19"
5th LWHSFGP3 25"
6th LWHSFGP4 32"
7th LWHSFGP4 40"
8th LTCUDUG12 50"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 03, 2009 05:36PM

I concur with Karry on the U3 reel seat for the 2wt. The aluminum is very lightweight and the U3 locks the reel in nice and snug. I have used this reel seat on many rods and it is a favorite of both my clients and myself.

That being said, you MIGHT think about using a cap and ring seat like the REC CRAS: [www.reelseats.com]
It is a more deluxe reel seat with a more refined look, but still a solid reel mounting system.

And you definitely do NOT need a fighting butt on a 2wt!

Walt

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 06:29PM

Jon -- Just give me a call at 931-684-6164 and I'll be glad to help you with the parts and explain to you why we sue what we use. The other messages have provided very good starting points for grips and seats. That blanks was a huge hit at the show,as Eric mentioned. Comes as 2 or 4 pc. model.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster