I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split (2 part) casting seats
Posted by: Adam Harbuck (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:04PM

Mudhole just sent a bulletin via e-mail promoting a new 2 part casting seat by PacBay (like the new seats on E21 CarrotSticks)...I was so excited to put one on my next build that I immediately got on line and ordered one....IT'S ON BACKORDER!!! What is up with that? They send out an email bulletin promoting a new product and it's on backorder?

Antbody know where else I can get one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split (2 part) casting seats
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:08PM

Give Bill Stevens a ring (Swampland on the left of this page) buy a castaway seat and chop it yourself. Its easy!

DR

Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:29PM

No need to chop 'em anymore....you can order them in 2 pieces now. I've not heard one negative remark about the Castaway reel seats. Everyone that I've built for using Castaway has remarked how pleased the are with the product. I also can't tell you how often someone has picked up one of my rods and asked "where did you get that reel seat?" I've not used one of the PacBay seats - I'm sure they're a good product - but I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Castway seats.

Date: March 02, 2009 09:35PM

I just saw them and I like the look of the satin stainless on the Castaway better than the chrome look of the PacBay. Looks like a "winner" to me. THANX to both of you, I appreciate the help. Still a little "ticked" at Mudhole though..........

Date: March 02, 2009 09:40PM

Adam,

You're welcome.

Another way to look at it: it was kinda nice that Mudhole let you know they were on backorder, rather than just letting you go ahead, order them, and wait FOREVER. That's the worst.

DR

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:48PM

jann's has had them in stock for a few months now... i've got 8 of them in various stages of completiong - both spinning and casting. So far, no complaints.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 10:38PM

May want to read the second post on this thread. Might be a reason they are backordered.

[rodbuilding.org]

-----------------
AD

Posted by: james johnson (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 10:56PM

i got mine at @#$%&

Date: March 02, 2009 11:09PM

That's what I like about cutting my own, I can make BOTH sections of a chopped Castaway seat fit the blank perfectly with NO arbor at all. If your baitcasting blank needs a 10.5mm, order a 10mm. The front will fit the blank perfectly and you'll need to ream the rear a tad to get it to fit perfectly. If you order the 10.5mm, the front section once cut will need a thin arbor. I like NO arbor. In other words, if you need a 10.5mm and dont want to ream anything, you need to buy a 10mm and a 10.5mm. Once you cut both, you'll end up using the front barrel of the 10mm and the rear trigger off the 10.5mm. Make sense? Thats why you order one size smaller and ream the trigger end, that way you don't have to buy two seats.

DR

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 08:01AM

The problem with those seats is why i like cutting my own. I know i am getting a good quality part. Not to mention custom builders have been doing this for at least 10 years, it's just fun to do.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ussignalcom.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 08:08AM

i've tested the pac bay (casting and spinning) on several different baitcasters and spinning reels (BPS, Pfluegar, Shimano, Pinnacle) spinning reel sizes 2500 - 3500 and don't find that the reels are in danger of popping out of the pockets. As mentioned, the only down side to them is the front portion does require an arbor and does not have a flat spot for the foot of the reel like you would get if you cut down a casting seat. I am satisfied with them however, and barring any issues on the water i might come across - will continue to use them.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 12:05PM

When the guys like Todd from Mudhole that sell them tell you to beware, you better beware. Hopefully Pac Bay can get it fixed and the Swampland boys can get the full range of sizes from Castaway. Until then, I'll continue to cut my own when the 2 piece Castaway seats don't fit.

Date: March 03, 2009 05:38PM

Am I missing something here? Is there a problem with the PacBay seats?

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:11PM

Check the link in Alex's post. It had been rumored since they were introduced that there would be problems with the design. Todd's post linked above confirms what others in the business had said would be the issue.

Posted by: Matt McKinney (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 09:16AM

Do you guys have any pointers on how to properly chop the seats? I've never tried to do that and I'm planing on putting split seats on my next two builds. Thanks, Matt

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 12:21PM

You can look at the minima type seats, or go to swampland's page. They have an example of how to do it, a picture. The material is not to hard to cut and shape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster