I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tartan Wraps ???
Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 04:09PM

I'm doing my first Tartan wrap at a customers request. I have the colors to match fairly close. I saw a tartan posted in the picture section some time ago where the builder wrapped over the tartan wrap with, what I thought was white thread. I liked the finished "worn" look this provided, and would like to match that technique.

When I finish my tartan wrap, I apply two coats of CP and then over wrap the complete section with white thread without CP. Is this correct? Would this give me the worn, bleed through look?

Any help/suggestions you can provide would certainly be welcome.

Harold

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tartan Wraps ???
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 05:12PM

Just make sure the over thread you use IS NOT NCP thread and it will go transparent. Better yet try silk thread.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:14PM

Harold,

Better yet, don't use CP at all. No need for it!. Make sure your base is white or a very light shade. This can be paint or thread. I use a light NCP thread. On this layer you can use CP. The lay out your diamonds in a double pattern. I like to use small bands of white regular A in the diamond pattern to add to the effect. Once your diamonds are finished, fill the remaining area with white or very light coloured Reg A. After the wrap closes. don't use CP, just apply your first coat of finish. You will see the colours bleeding through the finish creating your tartan effect. Once the finish is dry you can add some NCP or even metalic threads to create even more effect. There are plenty of nice tartans on the site but they are only limited to the creators imagination.

Posted by: Harold Dean (207.194.36.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:43PM

Thank-you Bill and Mark.

The Tartan that I am matching is called "Hunting Fraser" and it uses darker colors. Red, Blue, Green, Brown and one wrap of bright Red and one wrap of white. I have already layed the base in the Green, and then did my double diamond pattern (wrapping on 4 axis) in the Red's and blues. I have already added the brown bands, and the only thing left to do is add the brighter red band and the bright white, which I may substitute using metalic silver.

I am somewhat committed to overwrapping now with the white thread as per my original plan, but should I do the bright red and silver bands before the overwrap in White, or should I do them afterwards as you suggest for highlights Mark, or do you think it matters.

Cheers
Harold

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.sa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 03, 2009 04:25PM

Harold, personally I would do it after but that is a just me. You do what you think you want as the effect. That's what rodbuilding is all about. Experimentation and perhaps error but we all learn from it.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster