I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

power wrapper
Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 01:25AM

I don't mean to start any arguments, but would like some info on power wrappers...........I am trying to decide between a Rodsmith and Custom Power Wrap.................Which do you think is the better machine? Gene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:16AM

It's not really a fair comparison because they are in 2 entirely different price ranges. The Custom Power Wrap is the better machine. It also costs about twice or more what the Rodsmith does.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:34AM

Yes, see the post just a ways down from yours about the lathe question using power wrappers.

The CPW is a good choice if you are going to do more than occasional turning. It's much more substantial, bigger motor, tail stock options, tool rests, etc. The Rodsmith is a power wrapper that you can do some light turning on.

Terry

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:35AM

I have the Rodsmith RW-3XL and am very happy with it. But as Tom said the two you mentioned are in different leagues. I would suggest you determine how much money you want to spend first. In the lower cost wrappers I would recommend the RW-3XL. If you have the money to spend the CPW or Renzetti and in a league of their own.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.41.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:40AM

If you're not going to do much turning (I do very, very little) the Rodsmith may be the way to go. I have an American Tackle wrapper an aside form how big a PITB it was to assemble the sections, love it. Especially for the price.
The CPW or Renzetti are wonderful tools but I don't do enough to justify the cost difference.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 10:36AM

in maybe an hour i will be able to give my thoughts and impressions of my first ever experience with any power wrapper-a batson's unit. IF ALL GOES WELL(disclaimer)!!!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2009 10:54AM

It will take more than an hour to become adept with it. Most folks require a few rods under their belts before they get the hang of power wrapping. What seems awkward or difficult at first, will soon become second nature. You just have to do it for a bit to get used to it.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.41.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 11:10AM

Woody,
Read Tom's post and then read it again. When I got mine, I was ready to throw it across the romm in about 5 minutes but have figured out how to outsmart the dang thing. If you do more than 2 or 3 rods a year, they are a time saver.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 11:42AM

Hah, same here, it took me a few rods, now i do everything on it. It takes probably 2 minutes to wrap a micro guide including the forhan locking wrap.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 12:35PM

what a great deal! i love it! wish i had some instructions for it but it is all good! i like the foot pedal/speed control. i did find i really needed to slow WAY down when the thread is starting up the guide foot. I sure like this thing!

Posted by: Walt Lukowski (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 12:41PM

there is a Pac Bay with delux chuch on @#$%& now for 175,00 # 230328360476

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 12:46PM

I have both the Renzetti and RodSmith @#$%& when it comes to wrapping guides I still turn by hand, put them in free wheel and turn. Unless i am under wrapping.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:41PM

Gene,

I purchased a CPR about four years ago and had second thoughts as soon as I set it up. I had been wrappinig with the thread feed from behind and over the top for twenty years on a combination Clemens parts and home made McGiver. I have gotten use to using the CPR but still am dissappointed that I can not use the internal expansion vises I have become so accustom to using. The only way to use these vises is to cross the belt over. This in turn not only causes premature belt wear but will rob some power from the unit. I had contacted Mnfg about a reverse directional motor and they said nothing was available. Not knowing what your habits are or your preferences are I have found a solution to this rotation dilema. Grainger sell a motor with the shaft that protrudes from both ends and all you have to do is mount it to what ever direction you desire the rotation to be. That being said it is a very good unit and you will not be dissappointed. Order a bed extention unit right away, you will find that you would have wanted it very soon.

Good Luck,
Jeff Leonard

Muskyfsh

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 09:47PM

Jeff,
The easy solution to motor reversal is to use a DC motor.
I have built several rod wrapper setups using 24 volt dc gear motors. I power the motor with a power supply that is foot pedal variable from 0 to 24 volts.
I use a 1:1 belt drive system to my rod chuck and I am typically using a gear motor that will turn at 500 rpm at 24 volts.
For some of my heavier rods with very long butt wraps, I use the motor that has a speed of 1000 rpm at 24 volts. This gets the rod turning in a hurry to get those long wraps done.

I use a double pole double pole throw switch mounted in my power supply box to reverse the polarity of the dc voltage to the motor. The dc motor will rotate in the opposite direction with the reversal of supply voltage.
Simple, easy and quick.

I don't know of any commercia power wrappers on the market which use dc motors, but one can pick up one and use the variable power supply to adapt to your particular wrapper.

Good luck.
Roger

p.s.
If you want any more details, just drop me a line at

hflier@comcast.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster