I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

snake guides question?
Posted by: Jon Sanders (---.134.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 01:04AM

Has anyone ever used Snake Guides on a spinning rod? Would it work? I'm looking at some Recoil Snake guides and I was wondering if I'm just wasting my time.

~Jon

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snake guides question?
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: March 02, 2009 01:28AM

I haven't done it because I think that snakes will let the line touch the blank, and because I've read (here) that the Recoils will groove, over time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2009 07:14AM

You could only use them in the running guide positions. They will not work as well as ringed guides. Give them a try and see for yourself.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.90.188.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 11:38AM

Snake guides work fine on any rod that places them under the rod and have been around for years.
It's some of the placement strategy's that fail if the guide offset height goes to zero.
A well designed placement strategy is one that is not overly affected by guide offset height.
I would not place them as the first two guides nearest the reel as the line playing off a spinning reel is rotating as it's being fed creating a helix. This would slap the blank but would still function.
They also will not function correctly in a spiral wrap until the line is under the rod due the the same contact with the blank.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 11:41AM

Hi Jon,

I had a friend that did this because he wanted the lightest rod possible rod thinking it would out-perform everything else he had. He did it with ceramic strippers and snake running guides but later took them off replacing them with ceramic single foot fly guides, not sure what his issue was but he was not sold on the idea. I am sure he liked the weight but prefered ceramics for fishing mono??? The funny thing is, I have a trout pond and my son wanted to do the same thing while building a rod for fishing it. I talked him out of the idea but didn't have solid reasoing behind it, so you might want to try it for yourself and the worst thing that could happen is a re-wrap if you don't like it. I would like to know your opinion after.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster