I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Any luck with Duplicolor Mirage(R)
Posted by: Jonathan Colt (---.atclnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 07:18PM

Howdy,

I've come across several posts about painting blanks and have been drawn to Duplicolor Mirage. Manufacturer's photos look wild. Also saw several posts about Mirage that are from some years back. So I'm wondering..........

Have these paint jobs held up over the years? If not, why? If so, what helped?
Has the Mirage 3 step system been adequate for a rod blank? If not, why?
Is there anything additional that can be done to Mirage to make the project as durable as possible?

Whew!!! Demanding, aren't I? Sorry.....Just that I'd hate to embark on this if there's no chance of it lasting

Thanks

<'{{{{{=-<

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any luck with Duplicolor Mirage(R)
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 09:09PM

I've painted blanks and have paid to have them done professionally. The results look great, but there are not as durable as regular rod finish. I normally have 3 coats of clear, but am still looking for something a little more durable.

I have not tried the Mirage, but have used many of the Duplicolor products with success.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 09:58PM

I use the mirage alot. I use it to color over carbon grips and to color over blanks. On blanks I use the adhesion promoter primer then go to town with the color. You can use the Duplicolor clear over it, I have not had it crack but it is prone to scratching. The cool thing about the mirage is you can over paint and get different colors. I wish it came in more colors!
Take blue and paint over gold and get a green ect... You can control the darkness and shading with the amount of coats you apply. I have also used it with undercoatings, Your not limited to only the silver undercoat for Mirage you can use any Duplicolor touch up paint under the tint. I use a different clear over my blanks now instead of the Duplicolor clear or Permagloss which is unpredictable I just can't post the name here.

The first thing about paint is the prep! You must have all the old finish (if it's bad) removed, and I sand factory coating and my color coats with 800 grit wet. I'll try to post pictures of some stuff I've done tomorrow so you can see. Nothing will be as strong as the Factory finishes but I have a few boat rods out there that have held up fine!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.57.251.72.1dial.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 12:27PM

I use the car colors. I like the metallics. They shine in the sun. Plus it only takes two thin coats to cover a blank and then one quick coat of permagloss. Less weight on the blank. I think they also have Candy Apple paint. A base of say silver, gold, whatever and some of this very transparent, and you can make some nice looking colors.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 03, 2009 04:54PM

The same colours & tints of Duplicolour are available as base colours & tints for 2-pack 2K polyurethane
so you can get the same effects but using a polyurethane which is much more scratch resistant and durable than the matrix of Duplicolour.
The downside & upside is that you need an airbrush to do it.
Downside is the cost of set-up ( not huge )
The upside is finer spray & ability for fading effects & spray control.
Permagloss is a more durable finish coat than clear Duplicolour, and is essentially a pre-promoted 4K polyurethane which moisture hardens .
ie
It hardens in a different way to 2K polyurethane & is not quite as durable as 2K polyurethane.................the problem with using it over the top of duplicolour is that it is not compatible with the thinners in the duplicolour......................the duplicolour has to be completely dry ( and I mean completely dry & dried out ) so that the permagloss will not interact with any thinners remaining in the duplicolour.
2K polyurethane has the same issue with any thinners remaining in duplicolour when used as an overcoat.
The best result is the use of proper polyurethane base colours & tints which use thinners completely compatible with 2K or 4K polyurethane top coats..................no bad reactions with the clear topcoats & penetration of the base coat is optimised for durability.

Been there ...........done all of that............over 30 yrs ago.
Like so much in rodbuilding ..............you can do things which are not technically correct & get away with it if you are carefull and understand the issues that lead to bad results.....................if it works for you................do it.

The sharing here , is of the technically correct systems & their advantages........................& what to look out for if you are going to mix&match coating systems.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2009 08:34PM

Denis, I don't have any experiance with the solvent based polys or tinting them for use on rods. I have looked at products that are available and most are... quite expensive. I for one do not use the Duplicolor clear coating ,I use a special poly that I have found to be just as durable and flexable as Permagloss. It won't give you brain damage in a closed area either. I have tried to tint this product but ... no go! A good tintable, strong, clear and easy to use product for this application in rod building would be great. I have a surf rod that used my method and went this whole past season with no problems so I have faith in my way if done carefully and preped correctly. Until something else comes along...............

Posted by: Jonathan Colt (---.atclnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2009 08:09AM

This has all been very helpful. Thanks. BTW........I hit Duplicolor's website and saw that there's also a product called Metalcast that has an anodized look. Anyone ever tried it?

<'{{{{{=-<

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2009 01:11PM

Jonathan,

I've used the Metalcast in Blue and Green. Too me instead of looking Anodized, it looks like more of a bright candy finish. Very attractive though.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster