I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

OT: drill press quit
Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 03:15PM

I do or rather did use my dp for rodbuilding. I have a reconditioned Ryobi bench drill press which I purchased primarily because it has a 3 inch travel. I used it about a month ago with no problems. So I try to drill some cork and it will not start. Armed with my voltage sniffer if can determine that there is power to the motor. I had suspected a bad switch but no such luck. The only outside item is a starting capacitor which I did not "sniff" for voltage. I am already frustrated with the Ryobi website which is of no help. I banged on it a little but that did not do anything. I thought maybe it had brushes that were dirty but nothing is really accessible from the outside. Any suggestions on what to try? I am not certain where to get a motor. It is an induction constant speed motor. Thanks

John
God bless the troops and USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: drill press quit
Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 03:32PM

If your switch checks ok, then its possible it is the capicitor, but you need to be REAL CAREFUL, if it has a charge stored in it and you touch it wrong its a lot worse than just getting hit by the voltage supplied to the drill press. If you insist on messing with it, un plug the machine, take an insulated screw driver and short across the connections on the capicitor.
your best bet is take the motor off and take it to a motor repair place, probably won't take much to fix it and cheaper than a drill press.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2009 03:33PM by Jim Creed.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 03:37PM

I avoided the capacitor for just that reason. I guess I really am resisting to take the motor off etc.

Posted by: Scott Donley (---.propel.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 05:10PM

hi john,
an induction motor does not have brushes.does the motor make a humming noise when you turn it on?if it doesn't you may not be getting power to the motor.regardless of what a voltage sniffer tells you.it may be that power is going to the motor but the circuit is not being completed because of a faulty switch or an open wire.did you try to help it start by spinning the chuck in its normal direction of rotation?some motors have a set of contacts inside the motor that work off the centrifugal force supplied by the spinning rotor shaft.i have seen them get stuck in one position.some motors have a built in circuit breaker usually a red button on the side of the motor ,if it has one push the button.If it were me i would first test the switch for continuity,and check all the electrical connections to make sure everything has a good connection before i started to mess with the motor,they usually give you some indication they are going bad, not work fine one time then just do nothing the next.if you do determine that its your motor there should be a plate on the side of the motor that has the info that you need to replace it.the most important things are the frame size,voltage,horsepower,and RPMs.rpms dont need to be exact,just close.most are1725 rpms.ww grainger should be able to help you with a new motor.i am sure there are other suppliers also.WORD OF CAUTION ELECTRICITY CAN KILL YOU! if you don't feel comfortable with it take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.57.251.72.1dial.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 06:26PM

Get an electric hand drill if all you are doing is drilling cork rings out.
Until you can fix the press.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.41.96.216.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 11:23AM

It's a Ryobi, chunk it and get one that's meant to work. No offense intended but I've never had any luck with their tools and now use anything but them. They cost a little more but you just about can't beat a Craftsman and the customer service is great.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rhhe1.2wcm.comporium.net)
Date: March 03, 2009 10:59AM

You can't just go by name brand anymore. Sears buys their stuff from a bunch of different sources and slaps a craftsman label on it. Ryobi makes makes tools for many different labels and Craftsman is one of them. Look in your local yellow pages for electric motor repair and take the whole drill press to them. Chances are they can fix it pretty cheap. If not you can give it to me! I need a good project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster