I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sliding reel seat?
Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 03:44PM

I am getting ready to build my son a surf rod. I have a rainshadow SU1387 blank. I am hoping that there is some kind of reel seet that is not epoxied in. I have seen them on St. Croix surf rods before I think it was. Can someone please point me in the right direction of where to get these. I dont want to use coasters because I dont think they are comfortable to fish with myself, and Im sure with his small hands they will be even more uncomfortable for him. The rod is being built casting. I am wanting to use a seat like this so as he grows I can adjust the reel position to better suit him. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sliding reel seat?
Posted by: Fran Park (---.c21hecht.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 04:36PM

Mudhole used to carry an adjustable seat. I built a 9' surf rod with one of them so I could adjust the position. I don't see them in their catalog anymore. You might check with them for a source, though.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 04:36PM

If you use a Fuji Plate seat you can Tape or Wrap it on

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 07:54PM

Not a surf rod expert, but I've seen a few examples of reel seats that are cut out under the reel's foot and than when tightened up the reel's foot clamps a bit on the grip. Bill Boetther's work I believe is where I saw it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.65.93.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:21PM

yes. One was a Phillipson sliding seat. Don't know if you can find any ?? There was some one here that had a few. maybe he will see this.
I have played with a graphite seat. large ID that fit over a cork handle. I cut out where the seat feet lay and when the reel was tightened down it pressed on the cork handle and it stayed in place.
Or you can also try a Tennessee long handle. I like the graphite rings. I would coat the cork with clear to give the rings some bite. You can also use tape to hold it.

Sent you an e-mail

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 09:03PM

Casting or spinning type?

Many conventional revolving spool casting reels have clamp attachments so
you dont need any seat at all to hold the reel on and many boat & surf rods
are done "deckhand" style with cork tape and no seat.

If you need a sliding seat the Phillpson seat Bill mentioned is great and I
think Lakeland made one similar too. One of the board Sponsors migh be able
to locate one for you if they dont already have one handy.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Craig Geiselhart (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 11:16AM

If you don't mind doing mail order from the UK, check out Veals. They have several option for sliding reel seats if you burrow down their menus through accessories, then rod building.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 12:53PM

Thanks Guys, Raymond, this is a casting rod. I am not real suyre about using a plate seat, those are the type of seat that seems like people love them or hate them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.88.129.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2009 01:51PM

If you really need the trigger, Fuji has just the trigger you could rod bond to a casting seat, or any seat that you may customize to slide ?? Just a thought.
Or in a few years just sell the rod and build him another.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert Egan (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 21, 2009 03:11PM

Ricks Rods carries what you're looking for

[www.ricksrods.com]

I bought one of the vintage seats and the rod I built is my favorite

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster