I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss
Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 02:43PM

I just repainted a rod with Testor's Model Master Metallic Spray Enamel. I let it cure at room temperature for about 72 hrs. Then coated with Permagloss. The permagloss softened the paint and actually removed some in a couple places.
I have used permagloss on a couple fo other rods but put it over the old finish and did not have the problem with softening the finish.
My question is how long do I need to let the new paint cure before applying the permagloss? Do I need to change to another type of paint.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss
Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 02:59PM

I don't think you'll know that without some testing. I might not try putting P-Gloss on there until it has cured a week. Even then it should be on a scrap of blank or something similar. Some paints you might not ever be able to put it over. Some clear rod finishes may stand the hot solvents in P-Gloss better than paint. Chances are the rod finishes you have put it on were not new. Some of the spray can auto finishes are designed to be used with a clear coat. That might give you the look you want but may not be a durable as the PermaGloss

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 04:16PM

Enamel takes a long time to really cure to a hard surface.
The best thing I have used is any auto finishes like DuPliColor. They dry fast and can be coated - working fast - I let them sit overnight.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 04:58PM

With any enamel at least 1 month, I have had some repaints that sat 6 months even then PermaGloss can and does soften or crinkle's the enamel. Enamel is not the stuff to use on rods doesn't flex very well ether.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: February 28, 2009 05:04PM

Perma gloss is a hot Urethane. By that I mean the driers used to cure the Urethane are called hot, this has to do with the cure time. In the auto paint industry . They have slow, medium or fast driers. These are use in conjunction with how hot and humid the outside weather is like. So if Perma gloss is placed over a freshly painted rod the paint well lift.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 05:35PM

I have never had good results with PG over paint of any kind.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:19PM

DupliColor paint (overnight dry), followed by Duplicolor clear coat as a sacrificial protectant (overnight dry).....then use PG....the PG likely softens and may damage clear coat, but in every instance I have done this, the actual paint is perfectly fine and any damage to the sacrificial clear coat is invisible.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 08:46PM

Bruce,

If you will shoot me an email, I have some info for you that may very well interest you in this situation. Would have emailed you but you addy is hidden.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (207.118.61.---)
Date: March 01, 2009 03:03AM

Bill you have my email address Please send me your info MGWOY
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Eric Viburs (12.151.174.---)
Date: March 01, 2009 05:12PM

From what I understand Permagloss uses a product called Zileen (spelling??) to thin it. I attempted something similar and had the same problem when I called the company they told me that they have not found anyting that it would not eat off or soften. They told me if I find something to let them know. For what it is worth.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2009 05:25PM

Back To ya BOB,

Thanks I need it!!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster