I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Electric Decals
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 08:46PM

What software has anyone found that works to make these decals. I have tried Corel Draw 4 and Adobe Illustrator but can not get either one to work. I know that it is probably something that I am not doing right. I am looking for a name of some software that is more user friendly. Please Help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric Decals
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:58PM

Anything that will manipulate text and/or photos. MS Word, MS publisher, and similar are consumer level programs that will do what you want. Either is pretty easy provided you can put up with the usual MicroSoft bugs and whatnot.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 06:41AM

I have Corel Word perfect, and i am not savvy enough to figure it out either. I might have to take a computer class.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: John Zarski (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2009 07:29AM

Well I would be happy to help design your decal. I can email it to you when done. Just shoot me a PM of what you want it to say and any kind of look. also give me your email address, size of logo and color scheme. Offer is on the table... For anyone of my fellow Rod Builders that need some help...

John

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 07:45AM

Brad

I use Corel Draw and started as a rank beginner. It works very well as will Illustrator.

Jimi Ellis, the gentleman who started making decals for us rod builders years ago, now owns Southern Grafix and would be happy to help with your decal work.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 08:23AM

try Paint.net... its free.
www.getpaint.net

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 10:53AM

I recieved my paper, but where do I get the electrical parts, plugs & batteries. How long does a charge last?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 01:30PM

Mr. Friend drive 80.23 Km to the east - knock on the door - ask for directions - stick your fluoro in the socket near the floor!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 01:30PM

Mr. Friend drive 80.23 Km to the east - knock on the door - ask for directions - stick your fluoro in the socket near the floor!

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 01:41PM

I was hoping it was an all in one type kit. This is kind of like buying a toy, tool, radio & not getting any batteries. Bill, have you seen that man's "lost Notebook" in an earlier post?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 10:18PM

I just made a label on Corel Paint Shop Pro, and it was fairly straightforward. It printed nicely on the silver media from Texascraft with the Canon printer set for glossy II paper.

I don't think there is a software that doesn't take some practice to get used to. You have to master "layers" in Paint Shop Pro to get what you want. The background, set up by opening a "new" project, setting the size you want the label to be and the background color (or transparent) as the first layer. Then you insert a picture or graphic from file for the next layer. Then you do each line of text as another layer. When you save as a .jpg, the software puts all the layers together so that the text may no longer be edited. If you save a copy as a Paint Shop Pro file, you can edit each layer independently by selecting it then editing it. This would make sense if one wanted a common theme for labels, but wanted custom text for the different blanks/owners/etc.

In Paint Shop Pro there is a "Print setup" command that allows you to position the label at the very top of the page from which you will print. This is important in that it will allow you to use up almost all the media with minimum waste. Make sure that you set the printer to "high quality" printing and the paper to what you've found works best with your media. I found the gloosy II setting to work well with the silver.

There may be easier software, and there may be a better way to use Paint Shop Pro, but above is how I worked it. My experience with MS Paint has been very unpleasant-it is hard to do anything but view on it, in my opinion.

Note that a lot of label software, like even MS Publisher and MS Word, has label templates that MAY give you a size you want. But each blank is different, and I think that setting the size of the label to fit your blank when you start the project makes the most sense.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 04:24PM

I agree with Justin Keithly and paint.net. It's free with lots of support. Do a google on "paint.net tutorial". Another open source Photoshop compatible is GIMP, again lots of tuts.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 28, 2009 06:03PM

The easiest software you can use to print text will be Excel. With just basic Excel skills, you can produce some great looking labels. You can fill the cells with the background color and then type in white. Nothing could be easier. For images, you can "merge" cells and "insert" the image and your done. I use MS Paint to fill in the background color on my logo and then put it in Excel, but this isn't even necessary if you don't need to change any colors on your logo.

For something more powerful, you can down loan Open Office from Sun. It's free and offers a suite of software similar to Microsoft Office that includes a very good graphics software. It also includes a spreadsheet software like Excel that is just as easy to use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster