I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Make Scratches Disappear
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.remote.laureate-inc.com)
Date: February 26, 2009 07:36PM

In the process of moving guides around on a blank and testing placement, I scratched an area of the blank and would like to restore the shiny coating.

Which product should I use and how should I go about this without recoating the entire blank, which has wrapped and epoxied guides. I was thinking of diluting some urethane and lightly brushing on the area and then turning it. I was also thinking of hitting it with a heat gun to disperse and thin the finish over that area of the blank.

My goal is only to make some scratches go away. The entire blank is brand new and nicely coated from the factory.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Make Scratches Disappear
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:02PM

Tony,

I recently posted a mistake I had made similiar to yours and this is one of the helpful replies I had received.
Posted by: Duane Richards (DR) (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:13AM

Jeff,

If you have some permagloss or even rod thread finish, take it and wipe the finish into the scratch and then wipe off all the excess completely, leaving only a tiny bit in the scratch of the blank to fill it, you may have done this already, it works if you do it right and the scratch isn't too deep.

DR

Muskyfsh

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:23PM

Tony,

That above will usually fix you up pretty good unless the scratches are really deep.

DR

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:24PM

Try some lemon Pledge spray polish

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 10:44PM

Hi Tony,

Sounds like the scratches aren't too deep. If they are deep but not taking any color off the blank then I like Jeff's idea. If they are really shallow then something like Raymond's suggestion is good. I use Zenith Tibet Almond Stick, it's for furniture scratches and you just wipe it on the blank. I use on the entire rod before I present it to a new owner, makes it shine. I would finish the rod completely before I put anything over the top to disguise scratches (unless you go with jeff's idea). Sometimes finish won't stick well to various coatings etc. applied to the blank.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 11:11PM

This is after the horse is out of the barn, but I use various size neoprene "O" rings i/o guides to do static testing. They grip the blank and act just like guides. I mark the blank with white grease pencil at each guide location.
Then to test I place a little strip of blue painters tape where the guide's foot will be - no scratching. After I test the rod I remove the tape - wipe with solvent to remove residue, if any and wrap guides.
Herb

Posted by: Andy Klosky (---.kwk.clearwire-dns.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 12:58AM

So you place O-rings along the blank at the potential guide locations and run the line up through the O-rings to do a static load test? Where do you get the smaller ones to fit the top part of the blank?

Currently I cut short bands from small diameter tubing to make small rubber bands and use them to hold the guides in place. I can move the guides around easier than using narrow tape, but I like your idea better. Maybe I can use my little rubber bands just the same.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 11:30AM

Andy,

I cut my little rubber bands from surgical tubing and slide them onto a round object (round stainless steel thread packing/burnishing tool) , then double them over on the object, then slide then off the object and onto the end of the rod blank in one motion. This works great for the thinner blank areas.

DR

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.dsl.sndg02.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 12:19PM

Thanks to all who replied.

I have now started to wrap the blue painters tape around the sharpened guide feet before placing them on the blank with sections of fuel line or surgical tubing.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 04:53PM

If you have an edge under the guide foot sharp enough to scratch the blank, think what it is doing to the blank after it has been wrapped and fished (flexed) for a while.
I have repaired several rods over the years that broke right at the end of the guide foot from that very cause.
Be carefull!
Make sure the under side is every bit as smooth as the top side of the foot.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster