I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is the Longest practical rod for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz?
Posted by: Tommy Lindsay (---.sub-75-197-40.myvzw.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 10:15PM

Hello,

I purchased a 10' light action blank at the show. I have started buildingit , and have taped some guides and started test casting. I am using a stradic 2500 with 10lb braid. The intent is a rod that will fish 3/4 hopkins and jigs to 1 1/2 oz of the same.

I use BMNAG Alconite guides, and my interpretation of the concept sytem, with 10's as the smallest guides.

I am averaging about 87 yards. Is this about the best distance I can expect? Any inputs on the build would be appreciated...

I fish the SE surf from VA to AL.....

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the Longest practical rod for 3/4 to 1 1/2 oz?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 10:54PM

I would suggest 6's for running guides. I use 10# braid and a 15# leader on 80% of my light inshore rods and have NO trouble passing the knots. You will gain considerable distance with smaller running guides. In addition, I am sure you can use single foot running guides as well (BLAG). With the Forhan locking wrap utilized, the blank will break before they pull free. I use them up to 30# test without issue.

BTW, if you aren't using the newer Stradic FI ... consider upgrading. The casting distance is improved with the newer design.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:10AM

Lighter guides will help the blank react and recover more quickly and this will be even more apparent on a longer rod such as yours. If you can go smaller on those running guides, do so. You'll just have to try it. 250 feet plus, isn't bad at all for that lure weight, but you may be able to get a little more by messing around with the guide set up.

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 02:51PM

You may get a little more distance by moving up to a 3000, 3500 even a 4000 reel. That would push your choker guide out a bit and the larger spool diameter may give you a few more yards. The larger reel will balance the long rod better and that will help you increase the speed of your rod tip at release. Yeah, it adds weight but it's a trade off. Make sure that you have you reel far enough away from the butt of the rod for good leverage on the swing. I’m 6’ tall and the sweet spot for me is 25 to 28 inches from the rod butt to where I hold the line in front of the spool when set for the cast. It’s hard to get over 100 yds. with 1and ½ oz. but it can be done.
# 6 or 7 running guides will work fine.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 04:36PM

I agree with John's comment on the use of a reel with a larger spool diameter if you want to maximize your casts.

I picked up a few of this style reel a year or so ago, and am gradually switching all of my reels over to this style.

[www.basspro.com]

Bass Pro carries this reel in 3 different quality levels - i.e. more or less bearings, different gears and ratios - but all with the common traits of a very thin light weight - but strong reel body and very large diameter thin line spool.

Compared to any of my other reels - in sizes ranging from 1500 - 4000 this reel outcasts all of them by a significant amount.

I believe the other brand of similar spool design is the US reel.

[www.cabelas.com]

Again, there are some different quality levels in this reel as well.

Depending on whether you intend to use braid or mono - the different manufacturers for some of these models supply two different reels.
i.e. a deep reel for mono, and a shallow reel for braid. i.e. the same amount of braid occupies less space than mono, and thuse have no need for a deep spool to contain the line.

Before purchasing - do some checking to read reviews and other comments about the reel.

If you do pick up one of these reels, of either manufacturer or another, drop me an e-mail and let me know your results.

Take care
Roger

hflier@comcast.net

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 07:22PM

I fish with braid 4lb-10lb with long rods(over 10' )build by me using SIC match guides,model "M" (2mm.-16mm) ,spinning reles DAIWA SS TOURNAMENT(long cast spool) 700,1300 and 1600 without problem for over 10 years.

Jean Scurtu

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2009 12:47PM

Hi Tommy,

If it were me, I would go with our new guides (wow what surprise huh) in a single foot design using the Ringlock A-Frame for the stripper and maybe the first 3 guides before going to the Ringlock Fly guides. They are very tough and with the single foot design you are reducing wrap size and stiffness of a double foot guide. The feet have smaller foot prints and the singlefoot fly guides have slightly arrowed shape to help prevent pull-out. I would drop down quickly to the smaller size fly guides like Jim suggested.

For the ultimate in performance, I would go with the single foot Titan Ringlocks (new A-Frames) coming soon. There is no better guide made and with the titanium frames they will reduce weight and add flexibility to make the rod feel like there are no guides at all. I mean there is enough weight to help load the blank but no too much to inhibit quick recovery.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster