I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

THE EXPOSITION SEMINARS
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 06:21PM

The Exposition seminars are always GREAT! But I have to say that this year's seminars were just out of this world. The quality of the material presented and the professionalism of the presenters was easily the best to date. I would think that finer rod building seminars have never been presented anywhere on earth. For some reason, this year it just seemed like everything seemed to click perfectly. From the cameras and projectors to the people presenting, it all seemed like a well oiled machine that carried everyone along without leaving anyone behind.

I know much of the showspeak is geared towards all the exhibitors and merchadise but I have to tell anyone that has never attended, the Expo is really all about information and education. All I can say about the seminars is WELL DONE! They were the best ever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: THE EXPOSITION SEMINARS
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 06:34PM

I enjoyed the ones I saw also. Unfortunately I had to leave early Sunday to catch a flight, missed Rich's last seminars, and the one on photographing rods....wanted to see those.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:02PM

The seminars I have attended were very informative!!

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:09PM

The TRUE LEGENDS were there. The guys who really are the cream of the crop.

Posted by: Sean Doran (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:46PM

I couldn't agree more! I attended more seminars than walking around, but wished I had just as much time to walk around!

Kevin Knox did an outstanding job presenting the art of Abalone and is a great speaker! Can't wait to try this out!

Karen Campbell did an outstanding job on rod aesthetics and it has already helped me in some guide wraps I did today! I'll post photos after I get back from fishing tomorrow night.

Tom Kirkman did a great job in the tips and techniques and took the time to show everyone the forhan wrap! Awesome...

Mike Barkley made marbling look easy!

Jimi Ellis eased my ideas on decals and I look forward to using them in future rods!

As a newbie, I'd like to make a few suggestions to Tom if I may.
1 - Provide a schedule of seminars at the front door. It was a PITA walking over to that easel to check it out every time.
2- Get someone to give a seminar on rod repair (reel seat replacements, handle extensions, etc) for next year.

Sean

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 04:50AM

I believe Ralph O was there. If you ever need a question on a rod repair get hold of Ralph OQuinn. Ralph Is the man who figured out the formulas for the Trondak U-40 products

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2009 08:02AM

Sean,

Because the seminars are also listed in the magazine and on the website, I figured that anyone that wanted a carry along copy could or would have just made a copy from one of those sources before arriving at the Expo.

But your point is well taken. If we can afford to do it (wouldn't be very much but we already run very close to actual cost on the event) we will. I'll certainly consider it in the future.

Ralph presented on making multi-piece rods this year. We only have so many hours in which to include so many seminars so we try to change them up a bit each year. We'll see if we can add rod repair back in next year or so.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: February 25, 2009 03:47PM

Seminar's were great!!! Wealth of info. I learned so much I had to write it down so I could remember it later. I was a little disappointed in the selection of Saltwater guides and blanks, but one thing out of a hundred didn't ruin it for me. Tom great job pulling it all off.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 05:42PM

What more of a selection could you have asked for? Seeker, Lamiglas, Batson were there with pretty much a full line up. I'm pretty sure Mudhole & Fishsticks had a bunch of SW blanks from a variety of companies, including private label Mudhole blanks, and CTS at fishsticks. Riley Rods had a host of jigging blanks. As far as components - Fuji, Amtak, Batson, & Pac Bay were there, Riley had neat grips made from carbon fiber. There isn't much more thanthat, unless you are looking for EVA nad Hypalon and stuff like that - which truthfully makes no sense at all to carry in a booth, as it takes up a TON of space, and brings in a very, very small profit.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (63.77.139.---)
Date: February 25, 2009 05:58PM

I specifically asked a guy from Fishsticks if they had any trolling blanks, he said yeah I think so and went looking, he never came back to me. Since he didn't come back I figured I would look elsewhere and didn't find what I was looking for. I bought a blank from Riley as well as some foam. Never saw any turbo guides for sale, never saw any roller guides for sale. Yes batson had some as did pac bay, but I was told they weren't selling product. Maybe I should have done a little more digging, but I've always been one that if it wasn't there at first glance I figure they didn't have it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2009 09:53PM

Roller guides were there aplenty. In fact, the problem may be that there is too much stuff there. It's hard to find it with the crowd and all the stuff involved. The vendors only have so many on their sales staff and can't manage to do all that we'd like to see them do. Like a restaurant with only so many tables, you can only serve so many people per hour.

I do know that there was no natural cork there (unless I missed it), which I thought a bit odd.

Still, there was more than you can see anywhere else, at any time in any single place. Maybe not everything, but almost everything.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 11:13PM

Great show! Thanks, Tom and others that put so much into them to make them the success they are. Came away with lots of information and ideas that I will be trying out over the next few builds.

Posted by: Sean Doran (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 11:57PM

Fully understand, Tom and can't wait for the next show's announcement! Certainly worthy of my vacation time!

I had seminars all planned out in my head and then ended up missing Billy's foam inlay seminar because it wasn't listed on the board and ended up being a sidebar seminar in the table area. One I really didn't want to miss! I was in another seminar and couldn't really hear the speaker's announcement. Oh well, I will pick his brain over email or make a post here when I am ready. Not a deal breaker...lol!

Thanks for the info, Robert!

Again, great show and look forward to future ones!

Sean

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2009 06:05PM

Tom,

One more suggestion: I spoke in person with Ralph and I put this question to him, not being morbid mind you. Ralph, what will we do when your gone? He just chuckled, and said "I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon!". I then replied, "I hope not"!! He told me that you had been after him for years to write a book on repairs. My suggestion is KEEP ON HIM!!!!! I know that there are probably others out there that have just as much experience as him, but are they as willing to share their experience and knowledge, as this ICON of our craft? It would be a shame to lose all of that knowledge!!! Just my humble honest opinion.!!

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster