I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Why go to the ICRBE? My Reasons.
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 03:55PM

Hi,

I will explain my reasons.

I am a people person and I enjoy meeting folks, talking with them and sharing whatever. All the local folks I met in High Point were the friendliest folks you could meet. That says a lot for the surrounding area. Now you meet the rod builders outside and inside the EXPO, talk with them and it gets better and better. I will share my thoughts with you and I hope that I do not forget anyone. If I do it is my fault.

We started with the Reception on Friday evening. A great way to get underway. Many, many people filled the hall. The food was my dinner and I enjoyed what I ate. Very nice prizes were raffled off. A good way to meet old friends and new ones.

Now I have a person with a face to remember when I see various posts. I had the great opportunity to introduce myself to these folks and shake their hand. Many I was able to thank for help and services rendered in the past. It was my honor to meet you all.

I will type as I remember so there is no order intended.

Of course I know Billy, Sean and other NERB members. Always a pleasure talking with you and admiring your fine thread art that never ceases to amaze me. I did see an orange/black butt wrap done by AL Cider (Al I hope I spelled your last name correctly. I apologize if I have it wrong.) I thought it was beautiful. A friend of mine, Bernie Cohen, started doing inlay grips many years ago and I have always admired his work. Actually he was one of two RodCrafters that started independently the same year. Bernie, you know how I admire your work BUT this weekend I saw grips and the whole rod concept that just blew all others away. I suspect that you have seen this rod. I am referring to the "JOKER" custom rod built by Billy Vivona. Billy, that was truly amazing, to look at, to admire the craftsmanship and to be thankful to have seen it. Go to the ICBRE? Yes,!!! I now own 2 NERBs T Shirts.

I build on Batson blanks. They had a large area set up with many styles and a great assortment of blanks along with many of their other component products. To have finally met Bill Batson, Karry Batson and Adam Hansen was a main reason to attend this great SHOW. They have always been supportive and helpful to my rod building business and also my customers who call them for blank ideas. I had a great time talking with them, learning about their new products, flexing/pulling on many blanks and coming home with new ideas. Thank you guys. You always make me feel like part of the Batson group. Thank you Bill for the guides and I will use them on a personal rod.

There were many industry/craft leaders at this SHOW. These people will tell you they are just folks. Yes, they are folks like you and me but they are such talented folks and what seperates them from mere mortals is that they go out of their way to help you and me. When some one developes a design and it takes 150 hours to complete and then takes 90 hours to turn the design into a beautiful work of art and then shares all his hard earned knowledge with us, our craft is in good hands. I have emailed with Jim Upton over the years and to meet him in person, shake his hand, talk with him and listen to his presentations is priceless. Thank you Jim. I hope I live long enough and have the time to do at least one weave so I can say I did it.

For many years my customers have enjoyed having their rods graced with decals from Decal Connection. This company has always been a service oriented organization willing to give me the best. I started with Jimi Ellis and now Debbie Brown takes care of my orders. It gave me great pleasure to meet Jimi, Debbie and Chuch Brown at the SHOW. Talking with them opened up new ideas for me, money saving ones to boot after making my decals even better. Thank you! Chuck, I look forward to the new design.

Over the years I have spoken with Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle Supply. When I met him at the SHOW he is what I always knew he was, a true gentleman! Bob, it was my pleasure to meet you and I thank you for all the help over the years. That was some collection of components/blanks that you had in your booths. Folks I have to tell you that when I need something special Bob goes out of his way for me as I know he does for everybody. Thank you.

I stopped at Seeker and Lamiglas. This was another opportunity to check out new blanks and also the opportunity to meet Dick Posey, the owner of Lamiglas. I have had to pleasure of phone talking with him in the past and he was most helpful. Nice to meet you Sir.

Ralph O Quinn, thank you for takling time and showing me how to apply finish using a spatula that also came with an introduction to LS Supreme Hi-Build. I attended your presentation and 5 minutes into it I learned why something I tried didn't worlk Now I know and will try again. Thank you for the samples.

I met nice people at the Backlash Tools booth. Now I have several tools that I had not seen before. Thank you.

I checked out many other booths and admired the works or the products that were available. Unfortunately for the owners and me I do not use what they have. However, many other people were at these booths getting knowledge and products they needed. I am just not into snake skins but they are beautiful and I enjoyed looking at them. I saw many different threads and finishes that are now available. You should see all the special reel seats that are available along with hand crafted foam grips. Need a kayak? They had plenty of them to suit your needs.

The food I ate at the SHOW was very good. The prices were reasonable.

Need a blank? Swampland Rods had their Castaway blanks on hand and at excellent prices. A good thing for me that I did not have a truck. It would have come home loaded with MB 844's and then I would be living on the street in the truck with all the blanks. Just before I left my bride said that she feels like she is being crowded out of the basement. OOOps!!! She is referring to all the blanks around her washing machine. Regardless, I have been waiting to meet Bill Stevens. What a guy!!! I was not disappointed! Also as a bonus I met Lance Dupree and his bride, and Bobby Feazel. Once again, I pulled on many blanks. Give Castaway blanks a try. I always have a great time talking with Bill. Once again I always learn.

Oh my, I almost forgot about meeting J P Timberlake. Folks you should see the fantastic wood working that this craftsman accomplishes. As an amateur wood worker I always appreciate what a real craftsman is capable of designing. I was fasinated in holding, feeling and analysing his creations. Folks his work is very fine wood working. Use you imagination using his wood pieces for beautiful grips. Thank you JP for being there and allowing me the opportunity to meet you and see your fine creations. Folks, the pics in RodMaker mag are the best but when you see JP's work in person, beautiful!!!

Am trying to picture all the booths so I forget nothing. I spent most of my time at the booths whose products I use. I build salt water rods. Many of the booths were sweet water orientated.

REC Componets was there and I enjoyed talking with Paul and viewing his products. I have used their guides and reel seats when requested by customers. Unfortunately for Paul most of my customers won't spring for Titanium.

Why go to the ICRBE??? I hope I have given folks many reasons why I went and I hope it inspires you to go in the future. The SHOW, people and products were everything that I had reason to believe it would be. And, just for a $10 ticket to get in. You can not get a better deal or opportunity. I am delighted that finally I was able to get to the SHOW and take advantage of all it offered to us rod builders. A fantastic SHOW!!!

Last but not least a big thank you goes out to the promoter, Tom Kirkman. A show this big is not easy to put together and let's not forget the worries that go with it. I have enjoyed RodMaker mag since issue Volume 1 #3 and this web site. I appreciate what you have made possible for rod builders the world round and especially bringing the message to those new to our craft. I was my pleasure to finally meet you, shake your hand and say Thank You!!!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 06:59AM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why go to the ICRBE?
Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 04:33PM

I have to agree 100% Capt. It's more then fishing rods, it's the people you meet!

Posted by: Adam Hansen (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 04:50PM

It was great to finally meet you face to face. I really enjoyed talking with you!

Adam Hansen
Sales Consultant
Batson Enterprises, Inc.
Adam@batsonenterprises.com
Phone: 877-875-2381
Fax: 360-683-3579

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 04:51PM

Great post, from a great guy. Neil as nice as they come, and it was great to se you & Brad Baker walking around all weekend enjoying yourselves. I really hope to see you guys again, and ot have Bernie Cohen down there would be a great honor. As John stated, its' so much more than just fishing rods.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 05:19PM

Capt. Neil
Thank You for holding those Patch's for a Year! and s glad to finally meet you in person

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 06:16PM

When Bill asked what my highlight of the show was I told him same thing as every year its meeting all of the folks I talk with and email almost every day of my life. For Tom to bring them all under one roof is truly amazing. Last year not seeing Captain Neal there was a huge disappointment glad to see you made it this year because it was the high lite of both Bill and I.

I want to thank everyone that took the time to swing by our busy booth, I hope we were able to help you with your questions.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 06:28PM

I think the better question would be..........Why NOT go to the ICRBE?

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.cpe.metrocast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:09PM

Capt Neil, glad to see you made it down this year and enjoyed the show!! Always a pleasure talking to you, and to Brad also!!

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:22PM

Capt Neil. it was so nice to finally meet you. it was an honor and you are every bit the gentleman i had heard you were. maybe one day i'll head up that way. it is an area i've always wanted to fish and see.

Posted by: Al Ciner (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:39PM

Capt. Neil, it'a a n instead of a d but don't give it another thought. Meeting you was a treat,, as I've heard so much about you from Billy. I'm glad you could make it this year and hope to see you again next year or sooner if I can find a way to get to the east coast to do some fishing. Really glad you liked the wrap.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:58PM

Cat. Neil When are you coming to Woodland WA. again? I meet you a few years back when we all meet at the school in Woodland. Even tho we have a small gathering compaired to High Point. There is always a good showing of talented builders, who like nothing better than sharing. Maybe when my ship comes in the wife an I well head East or mabe take High point in.
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:03PM

Mr. Capt Neil -- So glad to finally meet you after all the years of talking to you over the phone. I've got to get you down to our Duck River Gathering and let you, allow me the chance to repay you for your years of being my friend. I want to share my southern hospitality with you, at it's best Thank You for being one of my favorites.

Bob McKamey
Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:10PM

Capt. Neil,it was great to meet you after many phone conversations about spiral wrapping. Hope we can all do it again.
Bill Ballou
NERBS

Re: Why go to the ICRBE? My reasons.
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 07:17AM

Good morning!

Now that I have had a day to recharge my batteries I realize that I left an important item out of my post.

By going to rod building shows, listening to other builders and manufacturers, I hear information that makes me think. As a builder I am comfortable in my processes and in doing so I paint myself into a "box". Albeit "my box". By new or old information making me think the doors to "my box" are opened. This is good as it allows me to try methods that are new to me. Then I can determine what works for me. Now, "my box" expands and makes me a better rod designer/builder.

As I stated I asked Ralph O Quinn to demonstrate his spatula method for applying his finish. I now own a spatula and was given a demo kit of Hi-Build. Testing is forth coming. This process could make a change in my production rods that will save me time and time is money.

I wish every rod builder lived an hour away from this SHOW and could reap the rewards of attending.

Thank you one and all.

Enjoy today!!!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 07:18AM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Re: Why go to the ICRBE? My Reasons.
Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 09:13AM

Capt Neil, as usual it was great to see you and Brad Baker, regardless if it was in the bar, the show or in the lobby of the hotel. I agree with your assessment of the show. Being my first time the ICRBE more than met my expectations. It was amazing to see the amount of product on the floor and have the ability to talk and pick the minds of some of the best in the business. I did end up picking up 2 of the castaway blanks. I really think the BB1 is going to make a great kayak rod.

The seminars I attended were amazing. I particularly enjoyed Morris Schlessinger`s wood turning demo. His lack of knowledge of rod building made for a more complete demonstration. His processes showed how to approach things as a woodworker. As simple as a friction drive is I would have never thought it up myself. Having tried woodturningin the past and hopefully again in the future he really made it look easy.

Mark Crouse's crosswraps seminar was also very informative. I wish he would have been there a little longer I would have tried to pick his mind.

My favorite had to be the abalone shell inlays by Kevin Knox. He made it look too easy. I will try it, possibly on my next rod, although I will say I'm intimidated. The results that I saw on his rods made it worth the risk. You really have to see them in person, pictures do not do them any justice.

It was great seeing the other guys in the NERBS. I got to meet some that I had never run in to before and spend some time with some of the guys that I had met before. Having Paul show me the turks head knot tool and documentation for it has opened up some possibilities in my mind. It's always good to see Billy, Sean, and the crew, especially Billy if full jester attire.

Of course the biggest thanks go to Tom Kirkman and the vendors who made the show available for us.

Thanks to all.

Tony Politi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster