I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro mistake
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 09:15AM

I just recently started my first micro build and wanted to warn others new to this of a mistake I made. I attached the guides to the blank using the small cable ties. Noticing that they are a little difficult to get them as tight as I liked I started cinching them up tight toward the tip and would slide them down toward the butt for a nice tight fit. Everthing was going fine until I noticed one of the guides had left a scratch in the blank. Please make sure your guide feet are smooth before doing this! I know this is just common sense but sometimes impatience gets the best of me.

Jeff Leonard

Muskyfsh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro mistake
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:13AM

Jeff,

If you have some permagloss or even rod thread finish, take it and wipe the finish into the scratch and then wipe off all the excess completely, leaving only a tiny bit in the scratch of the blank to fill it, you may have done this already, it works if you do it right and the scratch isn't too deep.

DR

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.248.31.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:19AM

I use a Flex Coat glue stick type deal and heat up the bottom of the foot, wipe the stick thingy on it and press it on the blank. This way I don't have a bunch of cable ties laying on the floor and everywhere else. Even when it drys I can still adjust the guides if need be.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 03:31PM

I am currently working on my first micro too. My fingers are not good with those pesky little things. I did what you did and did not notice any scratches but when I got to the tie it bobbled the blank so much when I cut it that the guide would fall off. I tried the glue stick and did not have much luck with that either as the glue was dry by the time I got it in the correct location and then the correct direction. So I have some 1/8 in masking tape and that is working much better.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 03:43PM

Bill;
I tend to find the masking tape works better for me also.
Llike so many things in this business there are several ways to do a simple thing one works you- another is better for the next guy. I'm just glad you’re giving them a try.
have fun!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:01PM

Ahhh, just got up off of the floor again.

Phewww, I`m going to the store for a magnet.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: cody delmere (---.dhcp.ftwo.tx.charter.com)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:12PM

i had the same problem with trying to cut off the cable ties and jarring the rod. my solution which i think i learned here is to cut the tie halfway thru before putting it on the rod. them i use a side cutting pair of cuticle nippers from wal mart to cut them off.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 07:36AM

Cody,

Thanks, that is another good idea. I switched to surgical tubing and that is a little better. I`m at work right now so it`s kind of a good feeling not being on my hasnds and knees looking for a guide.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 08:07AM

I use the tubing, but I use 2 pieces for each guide. A very narrow band to hold the foot to the blank, and a much wider band pushed up against the back of the ring. That second band keeps the guide from slipping out from under your thread once you get a few wraps on the foot and cut off the band holding it to the blank.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 09:00AM

I I prefer tape, but here are a couple of pointers. The first is something I figured out if you are going to use them and the second from Bill Stevens watching him give people pointers

Go to Lowe’s and buy a cheap leather punch, the kind used for making holes in leather belts and saddle stuff.
Set on the larger hole and you can punch out half the zip strap and use to tuck the guides neck in the hole. Much quicker and safer then a raiser blades or Dremel tools and the holes are uniform every time.
Creates less to cut of and provides additional space for more wraps before you cut.

Bill was putting the zip so that the knot was to the opposite side of the guide, then securing the guide with his finger so it could not jump out when cut. (He kind of pinched the guide and rod between his thumb and forefinger so the rod could not “jump” and sling shot the guide out.

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 26, 2009 09:14AM

Have any of you tried using rubber bands with a short piece of a small straw to hold the rubber band in place. I'm pretty sure somebody posted it on here a couple of years ago but I couldn't find the old post. I'm building my first micro rod and had to get smaller rubber bands and a smaller straw, I think the straws are actually for stiring coffee but they work for me. I posted a few photos so you can see what I'm talking about.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Herb Bickings

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster