I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
2009 Expo Notes - So Far...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2009 10:17AM

It will take a few days to get things back under control and crunch some numbers, but in the meantime here is what we know for certain...

Attendance was up. Way up. I never thought in these tough economic times that we’d have another attendance increase, but we did and it was a big one. When I post photos in the next day or so you’ll see what I mean. We just thought last year’s Expo was crowded, but it didn’t compare to the throngs of people at this year’s event. A few always try and start a rumor about how the attendance was "off this year." But that's all it ever is - a rumor started to suit a certain agenda. Wait till you see the photos - the place was packed.

Sales were good, even record setting for most of the vendors I’ve spoken to thus far. A few will have to get back and count things up, but the majority reported sales being even better than last year. Oddly, the Sunday attendance, which is never as good as Saturday’s, saw more actual buying than on Saturday. I spoke to several vendors that doubled or even tripled Saturday’s sales on Sunday.

The seminars were extremely well attended and the many comments I received about them were all very positive. I would still like us to do a better job utilizing the audiovisual resources we lease for the event and we’ll have to work on getting all the presenters to remember how valuable these presentation aids are when you have 100 to 150 people in a seminar room. Overall though, the seminars were top notch and better than ever before. They just get better every year.

The concession folks brought in North Carolina Barbeque on Saturday. They sold out quickly. They were also caught just a bit short by the attendance increase.

Greg Weaver won the Redfish Fishing Kayak.

Rich Kopchak won the Renzetti Master Rod Lathe at the RodMaker Magazine Reception on Friday night. Sam Fox won the Batson Forecast machine. Attendance at the Reception, which I had hoped to quell just a bit by moving it to Friday, was still nearly as large as last year. Just enough difference to make it a little easier to move around. And... it was lot cooler in the room with a few dozen less people.

Always a few downsides - 2 vendors did not show (American Rodcrafting and Ray Cover Engraving - they missed out on a whale of an opportunity). We caught one guy passing out business cards in an attempt to create sales of his products (he was not a vendor) and another that tried to sneak in with a fake stamp on his hand (my guys caught him pretty easily) and then I heard that a few items “walked” out the door. This sort of thing is rare but with a couple thousand people in the hall you’re always going to have a few such minor incidents taking place. Just the nature of the beast I’m afraid.

The later hours on Saturday were too late - 6:30PM is probably going to wind up being the best closing time. Staying open to 8PM wore pretty heavily on the vendors and most had wrapped up their major sales period by 6:30PM.

The only regrets I had were that I didn’t have time to get around and see all the product - and a great deal of new and innovative stuff was unveiled at the Expo this year. And, I always regret that I never have enough time to visit with enough folks 1 on 1. I like to catch up with as many as I can but I’m so busy and being pulled in so many directions that most of my conversations end up being very brief. If I didn’t talk to you or our conversation was short, be assured that it was only because I had a million things going on. I truly value everyone’s time and the fact that so many traveled so far to attend and make this Expo the very best one we’ve ever had.

I have a lot to do in the next day or so before I can really sort through everything, but I can confidently say that this was the biggest and best International Custom Rod Building Exposition yet held. No contest. It was head and shoulders above any we’ve done thus far.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 09:41PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2009 Expo Notes - So Far...
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 11:05AM

Was also looking forward to meeting Ray Carver.

But I think the greatest missed opportunity for those who could not, or choose not to attend the Expo and for those who had to leave a bit early to get home in time for Monday’s work or who just didn’t bother to take advantage of the opportunity to sit in on it.

Was missing out on the chance to attend Rich Forhan’s last seminar.

For those unaware of it, he is retiring and will not be back to the show as a seminar presenter. To make up for it he did three of them with the last one being two hours long. I have attended many of his in the past.
But none of them compared to the wealth of information he gave out this Sunday.
He literally pulled out his private notes and journals, and shared the stuff that you seldom if ever hear or read about. Covering the some of the most detailed info on techniques, techniques specific blanks, handles and designs that a builder could only dream of getting his hands on.

I believe many of us who were there have no clue as to the wealth of info freely given by him, and will only begin to realize it as we take back what we have learned and to put it to use.

Then to top it off, after the seminar he had every one who wanted to, put their name in a hat for a drawing at which time a young lady drew them out one at a time so that he could give to us.
1- of those journals
A 12x20 double sided laminated sheet with incredibly detailed info on testing and guide lay out, balance points, handles and so on
3 - of his custom designed, built handles.

I was sadden to realize I would never again have this opportunity and excited that I chose to be there for this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 11:09AM by Steve Gardner.

Date: February 23, 2009 01:47PM

Rich may not be back as a seminar presenter, but he is not ruling it out. He's retired, but he says if he can work it into his busy retirement schedule, he just may see us at the Expo in the future.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 23, 2009 02:22PM

This was my second expo. I can say I got a totally different experience this time.

My first opened my eyes to what all was out there as a new builder, met people, shook hands, put names with faces, etc.

This one answered a lot of questions that have been forming since then. I got to drill down, find answers. I found info I walked away with this time was far different. Perfect example - with only really "selling" rods for about 6 months now - talking to Jim Gamble and hearing the things he had experienced and then talking with Steve and hearing the some of the same things helped me figure out some direction, lets me set some growth plans, and figure out where I am going with the business end. Where else can you get that?

Then there were the seminars. I second Steve's comments about the Forhan seminars. Wow. I've never seen anyone just open up and tell everything they knew like that in such detail. Honestly, he could have gone way more than 2 hours. The amount of information I took in is going to take a long time to digest and isn't going to be processed quickly.

The great thing about the expo to me is you're never going to quite know what you might learn. Go even if you think it isn't that important to you. LOTS of things cross over among the different types of rodbuilding out there.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 02:34PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Bobby Ellington (---.sip.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 02:26PM

Tom
I am very glad to hear that Rich may be back.The first rod I built was a revolver rod following his ideas.He was one of the main reasons I came to the expo this year.Knowing this would be my last opportunity to meet him.

Photos
Date: February 23, 2009 02:58PM

I took about 180 photos and put up a few of them just now. The next issue of RodMaker will have a lot more including most of the spectacular rods on display this year. There were a ton and some were the most beautiful and unusual I've seen in 30 years of being involved in custom rod buidlng.

The usual rumor-mongers that always say our attendance is "off" should pick up a few napkins before having their crow.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 03:26PM

Tom;

Why not a Special Expo edition of the Rodmaker Magazine; in addition to the regular scheduled edition? I'd buy one in a heartbeat to be used as a reference manual of who does what, and put faces to many of the names with which I am familiar.

I'm coming to the next one, if I have to hitch hike.. Bet on it. C2

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.152.6.142.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 03:30PM

Trondak U-40 had their strongest Expo ever! We talked to more people than ever before. This was head and shoulders past last year. Some of our dealers even sold out of their U-40 product by the middle of the first day and needed more product from us. The attention at our booth was busy all day long. Even with the poor economic conditions the crowd seemed eager tp acquire rod building products. Trondak U-40 considers the show to have been a huge success.

Ralph O'Quinn

Date: February 23, 2009 03:35PM

Charlie,

Such a special issue will require about 200 man hours to produce and roughly $40,000 to print and mail. I'm going to need a guarantee of about 12,000 to 12,500 more orders to move forward. You'll buy one, see how many you can get to order one as well.

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 07:11PM

I made the trip down Saturday morning. Left home around 4 AM. Had a motel room booked for Saturday night. Had all my seminars planned out. Left the seminar on micro guides, and then the phone rang. Had to return home due to a medical issue with a family member. I had looked forward to a weekend full of learning, but it was not to be. Got lucky that the Hotel High Point allowed me to cancel without charging my card.

I was there roughly five hours, and spent way more money than I had planned, but it is worth it. Too bad I missed Rich, as his were some of the ones I had planned for Sunday. Got to meet some real nice people, and had a blast while it lasted. (I even managed to get photographed If even from behind) Now at least I can put a face to the voice on the phone when ever I call in my orders.

Thanks Tom and all the vendors and instructors for putting it all together. I will be there for both days next year, you can bet on that.

Eric

Edit for spelling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 07:20PM by Eric Nelson.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.clec.peknil.commercial.madisonriver.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:03PM

I'd like to take full responsibility for the record sales. I packed 29 blanks for the trip home. :)

Tom - Thank you sir! You are doing so much for this craft.

Steve, Bill, Mike, Rich - Great seminars!

Alex (Smith) - Can't wait for a copy!

Rich - You motivated us to really do it right. Thanks!

Vendors - You guys were great. I don't dare try to remember all that we talked with. Many of you treated us little guys like major accounts. We'll remember that! Thanks!!!

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2009 09:11PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:08PM

I had to come back sunday to purchase some more stuff, a lot of the things i wanted to check out had a line. (good thing for vendors)
this was my second expo and it was twice as informative as the last one for me. The first one there was so much stuff i did not know where to start, this time i had a better idea and fell right in with the rest. the casting demos i saw in the parking area just amazed me at the distance. and the seminars were very good.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:09PM

Tom, if you put out a special issue on the show , I know several people who'll buy one...............how about a disk of pictures? Sorry I missed the show, mabe next year...........Gene

Date: February 23, 2009 09:22PM

Gene,

Thanks. Several is good, but it would take a few thousand to make it possible.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:23PM

7 blanks-some thread, guides, butt caps , tools, info-TONS-Ideas!!!

Will start putting my change in the jar for next year!

Posted by: Jeff Wilson (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:31PM

I just wanted to "ditto" the comments above about the show. What an experience! I've only been hobby building rods for about a year now, I'm just now working on my 7th build and my friend that attended with me has yet to build his first rod. We live in the Kansas City area and know no one else that builds rods. What little we know about this we learned on forums like this and from books and catalogs. We were hoping to finally get some "hands on" time with the component options and just talk with someone else who enjoys this trade.

We arrived at the airport on Friday, saw a gentleman carrying what was obviously rod tubes and asked if he was going to the convention (he was) and if he wanted to share a cab to the hotel (he did). Little did we know that this fine builder from the Des Monies, IA area would completely open up to us, offer suggestions, show us his work and for more than half a dozen times over the weekend meet up with us, discuss what we learned in the seminars and tell us of his personal experience with a number of building topics. What a class act!

While experiencing this from a fellow builder might not be that surprising to some, the thing that was even more surprising was to get this same treatment from the vendors! I was wanting to buy some micro guides from Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle Supply. He essentially "handed" me his box that had about $100 worth of guides in it and told me to take that over to the tables about 30 feet away, in a crowded room mind you, pick out whatever I needed bring it back! Blew me away. I've been to a lot of conferences before where vendors were present, never have I seen this kind of trust before! And that was just one example, I experienced this from MOST of the vendors! I was truly saddened to hear that some took advantage of this trust and chose to make a bad decision to steal. What goes around comes around.

And while experiencing this from the vendors there might not be that surprising to those that work with these folks often, I was even more taken by the attitudes, kindness and openness of the "experts" at the show. For example, while I am sitting at the table counting out my guides from Bob, I happended to drop one. There I was down on my hands and knees looking for this guide and who else but Rich Forhan walks up and starts helping me look!!!!! Unbelievable! What a class act he is. Here's a true legend in rod building taking the time to help a complete beginner like me that he doesn't know from anyone! I couldn't have been more impressed and lucky to have caught what might be one of his last seminars! And Rich wasn't the only one willing to spread the knowledge and be "real". Terry Henson's willingness to show us pretty much everything he knows about feather inlays and how he does it was amazing. What an artist he is. Really all the presenters were great!

What more can I say? This was a classy event, put on by an excellent host with honorable vendors and generous teachers. And the discounts offered by the vendors and the elimination of the shipping costs more than paid for my airfare and hotel to attend the event. I made new, much needed friendships, developed new loyalties to vendors who treated me right and have complete respect for everyone involved in this event. I feel truly lucky and blessed to have been in your space for a time. Thank you!

Question, Rich highly recommented a particular Seeker blank he liked for a crankbait/spinnerbait rod. Said the model no. was BS706-S. Anyone who could suggest where I can get a couple of these blanks would be much appreciated. The two vendors i've checked so far and even the Seeker website don't show this exact model number. Are these available yet?

I can't wait to get started trying out all the new ideas I learned this weekend and can't wait for next year! Sincere thanks to all who were involved in making this event a reality.
Thank you!
Jeff.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:33PM

Hi!

Got home this afternoon and I am fried! Tomorrow I wil sit down and gather my thoughts.

I am glad I attended!

Tomorrow!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 07:42AM

Jeff,

I would like to say on behalf of everyone involved with this fantastic show we attended that it is comments like yours that really makes it worth the effort for them. I certainly was nothing but an observer, but your comments say so much on how I and probably every other attender felt.

Thanks for putting it into words and thanks for all who took part in this venue.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: February 24, 2009 10:13AM

First show since Charlotte, wow what a change!! Winning the Batson wrapper was the icing on the cake, I was very surprised and very proud of our rodbuilding fraternity. Thanks again Bill Batson and thanks again for a great show Tom. We were on the road for a week before the show and my wife suffers from multiple sclerosis, she never missed a seminar or any booth in the show and also was at my side when I won the wrapper on Fri. night. We had a great time and a long drive back to Iowa. Saw a lot of old friends and met some new ones.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2009 11:38PM

Jeff,
Give Angler's Workshop a call - they know what you're talking about when you ask for the "green" - "S" glass blank by Seeker. They are a board sponsor.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster