I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting a fly blank
Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.75.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 04:16PM

As the topic states, I have a 7' 3" 3wt 2 piece blank that I want to cut down to 6' 8", question is, if I cut 3" off the tip and the remainder off the butt what will happen to my 3 wt? will it stay the same as far as line weight or will it make it too stiff and will be more like a 4 weight instead? Hope this makes sence.
Thanks Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting a fly blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 22, 2009 05:45PM

The power won't change but the blank will become a slower actioned blank. The tip will be stiffer initially, but the power will be the same and it will be a slower tip as two inches will take out quite a bit of tip flex. On most fly rods I've fished the last thing I'd do is cut 2 " off the tip. Are you trying to fit a shorter tube or something? If not ,take it off the butt, the power may drop a bit, it will slow less maybe and likely cast nicer with the whole tip section.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 22, 2009 06:28PM

leave the tip, trim the butt.

What I then do to protect the tip when disassembled in the rod bag etc is find a piece of broken rod that will fit on the shorter but section & trim to length to match the tip or a bit longer. Put it on the butt when putting in the rod bag / tube & leave it in the rod bag / tube when the rod is assembled for use.

I would not call a shortened tip a slower action , so much as producing a shorter sharper release point in the cast, resulting in being less forgiving in casting action, power remains the same with a fish on, slightly increased relative to the flyline in casting. ( as we are talking different levels of load here )

Whereas trimming the butt maintains the casting action but slightly reduces the power of the rod with a fish on , negligible difference relative to the flyline in casting ( but very slightly reduced ). Depending on your casting preferences & preferred feel, you may or may not notice the difference in casting )

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.92.126.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 06:32PM

I agree with Denis completely.
The tip is the most sensitive area of the blank and modification will have very large effect.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.95.152.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 01:38AM

The rod will come out to be I think a 6-7 wt if you trim the tip that much
get the blank you want at the size you want. You will like it a lot better.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2009 08:16AM

Cutting from the tip will slow the action, so will cutting from the butt.

Cutting the tip won't change the power, but cutting the butt will change the power.

In the end, doing what you suggest will leave you with a pretty disappointing blank, in my opinion.

The Common Cents System can be used to determine exactly what effect any cutting will have on action and power, before you actually make any cuts.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 09:53AM

Rob,
Your best solution to your situation is to build up the blank in the length, for which it was designed.
Then, if you want a shorter rod, buy a blank that was designed to be that length.

As the others suggest, if you trim this particular blank as much as you want, you will end up with a disappointing rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.75.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 23, 2009 04:49PM

Thanks for all the reply's, I am convinced now that I will build this rod as it was designed and just purchace another blank for the other.
thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster