I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Epoxy for Reel Seats???
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 01:46AM

Hello Everybody,

What do you feel is the strongest and best epoxy for a reel seat?

Which is better, Rodbond or Flexcoat?

Any other suggestions are always welcomed.

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Epoxy for Reel Seats???
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 03:12AM

I like Rod Bond, it is a past that stayes where you put it

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 06:04AM

Make sure the Flex Coat you talk about is the GLUE and not the FINISH. These are not the same things.

The Flex Coat epoxy glue is thin and strong. The Rod bond expoxy gel is thicker and strong. Both are very good.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 07:35AM

Rod Bond

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lyle Stokes (---.rt-bras.pell.centurytel.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 08:43AM

Rod bond isa little stiffer, but I like it the best, never had it come loose.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 08:48AM

Rod Bond!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 09:09AM

They both work great. I use Flex Coat adhesive for installing my arbors because it flows nice and I can actually do it with almost no clean up and no masking. I tend to use Rod Bond for actually bonding to the blank, but either will work great. Actually more important than the epoxy is a good fit.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 12:29PM

Tony,

Any epoxy -glue (not finish) that has a set time of at least 15 minutes will work very well for rod building and reel seats.
Yes, some folks use epoxy of the 5 minute variety, but that gives the builder only about 2 minutes of good setup time and that is often insufficient.

Yes, the epoxies that you mention will do the job just fine.

However, don't discount the commerical epoxies that are available on both the industrial market as well as in the big box lumber yards.

I personally use one of the house brands of 30 minute - Pro epoxies for all of my rod building and have had excellent results with the glue.

If you do some shopping of local sources I suspect that you may find some epoxied at very reasonable prices that will suprise.

If in doubt, do some test gluing for both mixing time, setup time, sandability etc.

Really none of the commercial epoxy glues now on the market will give you any problems with strength for our applications.

The glue strength for epoxies in the rod building industry are quite insignificant - when compared to some of the steel bonding and other very agressive gluing requirements found in some industries.

Good luck.

Roger

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 03:13PM

DEVCON 2 TON EPOXY.

Jean Scurtu

Posted by: Seth Cavarretta (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: February 22, 2009 06:11PM

What are yalls fellings on gorilla glue? I've used it (mainly on LT spinning rods) with no ill effect. And I like the way it expands / foams to fill the voids between arbors or tape bushing which ever you use.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2009 07:04PM

ROD BOND

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 22, 2009 07:15PM

I don't like Rod Bond for seats. I want something that sets quicker, so I use a commercial grade 30 minute epoxy.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 22, 2009 07:33PM

Why not use the 10 minute Rod Bond? Ralph OQuinn I believe stated in a article to stay away from some of the over the counter epoxies, The reason he gave was some had inferior ingredients. But he had no problem with commercial grad epoxies

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 07:44AM

U-40 Quick Bond is fairly new, I tried it one several rods and so far i like it. Being February, I haven`t any experience on a daily work out with it but it should be OK.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bernie Cohen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2009 10:51AM

I use PC 7 and I believe it is the strongest of any epoxys by far. It may be a little more difficult to mix but once you get the hang of it you will not find any to surpass it in my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster