I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

threadmaster 15 minute epoxy experience?
Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 02:19AM

Does anyone have experience with this product? I did a quick search and did not find much information other than a few people have used it. I am interested in using it to bond a blank to an unibutt ferule.

Thanks,

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: threadmaster 15 minute epoxy experience?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 02:46AM

Probably be just fine, but after just building 5 stand up's I highly recommend Rod Bond or Quick Bond . Just MHOP.

Posted by: Timothy Johnson (129.133.43.---)
Date: February 20, 2009 04:26AM

This is a runnier mixture. I like it when using Mesh fiberglass arbors and sliding grips down the blank. The Rod Bond stuff is a much thicker, less runny version. I would use the RodBond and QuickBond for the ferrules.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 06:14AM

The Ultimate Gel is going to do exactly what you are looking for. It is also a true 15 min. epoxy. The rod bond 10 min gels in 10 mins but is not ready to use for a few hours. Where as the ultimate gel can be used within the hour. So the time you spend on gluing up the rod is greatly reduced. The bond is as good if not better. Ultimate epoxy either gel or optimum flow, can and will get the job done for you. Thanks for asking. Scott Parsons

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 06:39AM

I do not thbink anyone would be using their trolling rod an hour after gluing on the butt ferrule. Even if you were to try the Ultimate will fail after just an hour. It may set in an hour but it will not cure hard for much longer than that.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 09:04AM

John, I think he meant usable as in the rod can be worked with, not actually fished.

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 10:46AM

Thanks everyone

I have and used the threadmaster on some grips in the past and thought it was pretty runny. I ordered 10 minute rodbond, but my package came and to my surprise, it is backordered (I wish they would of told me earlier, as I am beginning to run low on time, so this is why I asked this question). I have regular rodbond, and I used the regular rodbond to attach a rodblank shim as someone recommended. My thought is a shorter acting epoxy would give me enough time to set everything straight and there would be less chance of accidently having the allignment change as it sets. Looks like I will give the threadmaster 15 minute a try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 10:47AM by Scott Lamb.

Posted by: BINGHAM ENTERPRISES (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2009 10:53AM

Scott,
I have the 2 and 4oz. kits of the 10 minute RodBond in stock if you are needing it right away

Thank you-
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 11:37AM

Scott,

The Threadmaster 15 will do just fine, it is thinner than RB but sets way faster and I do believe it can be put to full stress use in something like 2 hours, IF... I remember correctly what Andy told me?

DR

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.237.239.24-static.northstate.net)
Date: February 20, 2009 05:36PM

I've used both, like them both. I'm a bit more used to the thicker nature of Rodbond, but when I need to have something ready to handle quickly (not use, just handle enough to install other parts), I use the 15 minute stuff. I've not tried the new Quick Bond yet.
I'm sure that, after the Expo, I'll be loaded up with every kind of adhesive!

Posted by: Scott Lamb (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: February 21, 2009 12:57AM

I used the 15 minute threadmaster and it worked very well. Thanks everyone for your input. The connection looks great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster