I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides
Posted by: Bill Pfeifer (159.178.32.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:33AM

* Are there any guides that have ceramic (or whatever materials are used nowadays) insets in the rings that are sturdy ,ie., the rings won't get knocked out or cracked?

I see ring guides with insets on Penn, Star, etc. standup rods but am afraid of repeating a problem I had a few years ago so I get roller guides.
I'd prefer cheaper, easier to maintain rod though.

The guides would be for standup rods in the 50-80 classr.
The rods would be treated a bit roughly ,eg., getting picked up in bunches to go in a truck, getting dropped on the deck sometimes, etc.,
The guides might have double lines knots or knots connecting to very heavy mono going throught them (something most rollers can't do anyway) .

* What type of guides would you recommend for such rods?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:47AM

Many guides now feature rings that are swaged or inset into the frame. This makes them somewhat more difficult to knock out, but they'll still crack if you whack them hard enough.

Pacific Bay has introduced some metal matrix rings that are very hardy, but I can't say for sure what type lines they'll hold up to.

If you're at the Expo this weekend talk to Vic Cutter about them.

Re: guides
Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 11:36AM

Hi Bill,

I am glad I checked the board this morning, your question is answered perfectly by our new "Virtus" guide series! Although I don't do much stand-up fishing now, when I did I was always a fan of good ring guides for knots and casting. I also used a lot of lighter and longer rods where I didn't want a lot of thread and epoxy with longer wraps, so ring guides were the ticket. However I cracked or lost rings from time to time due to impact or frame distortion. Rollers are certainly the best for heavy rod situations but with our new Ringlock design incorporated into a heavy duty inshore and offshore "Virtus" guide you can have performance with durability. The frame gauge is slightly thinner in the Virtus lite series to reduce weight and increase flexibility for inshore applications while the offshore Virtus Heavy's are extremely tough and ideal for heavy rods. Some of their features include:

- Frames comprised of solid titanium alloy or SS316 material
- Split front leg design adding lateral stability
- Recessed ring design protecting ceramic from impact
- Ringlock press-fit ring system with larger glue reservoir preventing ring loss
- Shorter foot print with increased flexibility
- Thicker gauge material adds strength and prevents crushing
- Two series covering inshore to 20-60# & offshore to 40-80# line ratings
- Available in our Nanolite ring, an SiC equivalent

No ceramic ring guide may be impurvious to fracture or ring loss. But,,,, through design and process, we have taken every step possible to insure that the rings stay in their frames. We also used a ceramic that was close to the hardness of SiC for performance but more durable to impact for durability. I believe they are the best guides made for your described purpose. Hope you will consider them.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster