I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I'll take some salt and pepper please
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.177.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:19AM

So that I can eat my words. I finally broke down and decided that before I could "be right" one way or the other on micro guides, I needed to build one. I wrapped the guides last night and will put the finish on it probably one day next week. The dang thing casts like a rifle, I've never cast a 1/4 oz spoon that far at least 25 yards further w/ 8# Sufix braid and a Shimano Stradic 3000.
I built it on a Lamiglas IP 843 using American Tackle halide guides (10,8,6, and a bunch of 3s) and split grips. I tend to use a long leader so I don't have to retie leaders on the water and change lures frequently, I used a small tip top instead of a fly guide.
I know I'm going against the grain but I'm goin gto marble the area between the rear grips to add a little eye appeal and go get me some gator trout.

To all the MM guys out there, thanks for the posts and getting me started on this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'll take some salt and pepper please
Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:36AM

I'm starting my first micro build this week, and I can't wait to she how this rod will preform. When my 3.5's were delivered yesterday and my mouth dropped when I saw the size of those babies! I have to admit those guy's look a little intimidating at first sight. I'm literally foaming at the mouth to get this rod on the water!!!

Date: February 17, 2009 10:39AM

Stu,
They fraked me out a little as well. But they weren't actually that hard to wrap, just a royal pain in the neck to sight and make sure they were lined up right.

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 11:07AM

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 11:20AM by Bobby Feazel.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 11:10AM

I'm glad to see you guys pushing us forward with the spinning rod applications. I never build them, but I'm going to have to try one with micros just to see how they perform. If you think they are a pain to line up on your 843, try lining them up on an 8 foot crankbait rod with 10 of those little babies, what a PITA.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 11:14AM

Do you have a pic? I've been debating using them as well. I fish for specks and red with 6'6 st, croix that I built with regular guides and a 2500 stradic with braid. I can't imagine a rod that would cast better than what I have. What is the benefit of the micro guide over the regular guides, and why does it cast further? Really want to learn the difference as I have a few buddies I need to out cast!

Date: February 17, 2009 11:29AM

Craig,
I don't have any pics yet but I'll try to when I get time (I've got 2 rods on the dryer now, 2 more waiting and some more stuff will be delivered today to be ready by March 7th)
I guess one benefit with the micros is how freaking light it is, I sight cast redfish and trout primarily but when I can't do that I blind cast ALOT using big top waters, 6"-7" weedless jerk baits and plugs and after a hard day of fishing I'm tired. I don't know where you fish but in the FL Big Bend if ain't 7' or better you're really missing out, as a general rule. If you like the 6-6 you'll love a 7, in my opinion and yes I know what opinions are like.
My estimation on it casting further would be, and I have no way of proving other than it sounds right, is that it is "gathering the line sooner and "shooting" it down through the guides. Now again, this is only how I've explained it to myself and I'm convienced.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:37PM

Matthew - what reel and brand/model of butt guide?

Think about moving up to an eight foot blank and you can fish Florida, Alabama and Louisiana waters from the same spot!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:51PM

I think Matthew is correct when he said ," gathering the line sooner and shooting it down through the guides". I also think the lighter guides lets the rod load more naturally which requires less effort to make the cast . I got one in the hands of a Bass fisherman on Kentucky Lake that fishes a lot of tournaments. It was a Castaway 842 with 4 " cut off the butt for side-arming small jerk baits on 8lb mono. He said , and I quote. "It is the best rod that has ever been in that 21 ft Stratos,,, Fantastic " ! He said , "It will cast about 1/2 mile then throw rocks for ten minutes".
I thought he described it very well.

Date: February 17, 2009 12:58PM

Bill,
The reel is a Shimano Stradic 3000. I honestly don't remember what model the butt guide is but I'll look when I get home. They're American Tackle guides.
I thought about an 8' but she wouldn't fit too well in the rod box, maybe 7'-6". Are there any good bars (of any sort) in your neck of the woods?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 01:13PM

Crag;
"I can't imagine a rod that would cast better than what I have. What is the benefit of the micro guide over the regular guides, and why does it cast further?"

Ask that question again on Monday after the Expo and a lot of people will chime up with the answers!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 01:21PM

Steve, I'm hoping to remember to bring down my spinning rod, and I'm looking foward to comparing it to how you've got yours set up. Mine's a bit long for FW boat guys at 8'2, but it's so light and balanced you dont' feel the additional length until you cast teh lure out of sight.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 02:08PM

Steve, I will be at the EXPO. I will that question there. Thanks for the explanation. The loading and shooting makes since. I guess I've just always thought that bigger holes equal better distance and less resistance. Come to think of it, most high end production rods have smaller and smaller guides each year. I know Shimano has one called a cumara and the guides on it are little. Not sure if they are micro or not.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 03:46PM

The guides we are talking about make the ones on the Cumara look like they were designed to pass rope instead of fishing line.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 05:00PM

There is gonna be fun fun fun in High Point playing with the little ones!

Three times this weekend - tournament fisherman knocking on the door

"I have come to see those funny looking rods they told me you have with the little guides"

Hand one over and ask "Do you think that will work?

"Absolutely not?"

Could you tell me why not?

"That 50 # braid will not go through those tiny little guides!"

Chunk it!

and the next thing you hear is

H _ _ Y S _ _ T!

The Swampland Trailer is leaving tomorrow - do not forget to log the licence plate if you see it on the way and claim your prize!

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 05:38PM

Holy SH . . . well I got some research to do then. I've always like a good long cast. Boat don't spook the fish and such with the ability to bomb it out there. One more question. I like to use a 2' foot piece of 14lb flouro leader. I use a uni to uni connection. 7 turns to the braid side and 4 turns to the mono side. Will that knot fit through the guides?

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 07:02PM

Craig

You would have to tie a very sloppy knot for it not to pass thru 3.5's. I have no issues with 14# leaders even with ones long enough to get the knot on the spool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster