I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bridge guides usage
Posted by: Steven Garvey (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:34PM

On bass casting rods I've built so far I've used double foot casting guides.
I see the "bridge" guides, are they used as running guides for casting rods in place of the double foots?
What is their intended purpose are they a replacement for double foots? Are they more durable than the single foot fly guides?
Seems like most of the guys are using (2) double foot casting guides then going to single foot fly guides in size 6 for most applications.
I'm looking to make a St. Croix 3C68MXF casting rod using Fuji alconite guides.
What does St. Croix use and how many anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bridge guides usage
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:42PM

I used a bridge guide on the first spiral I ever built. I am not sure what the point of them is either. The thing was nowhere near as durable as a fly guide.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 12:24AM

Scott --I've used a few BUNAGs as well-thinking they would be more durable than a single foot and lighter than a dbl. Not really any stronger somehow than the singles, but a little taller than singles of the same size ring-that may be something of use in a setup.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:23AM

Personally, I see no point in bridge or double foots on a bass rod. If someone with clumsy feet steps down and breaks a guide, they got more to worry about with the rod they just crushed too.

I haven't seen a single foot deform from normal use while bass fishing.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:56AM

Steven,
I don't know if there is a lot of application for the bridge guides on casting rods, but I use them all of the time on spinning rods.
When using Alconite guides, the bridge guide makes an excellent transition to the fly guides at the tip.
Without the use of a bridge guide on many rods, you will see a jump in the height changes as you sight down the rod, and also the line won't flow as smoothly, as if there were a bridge guide in the correct location.

Note:
Depending on the rod, taper, power, and type and number of guides used, the bridge guide may or may not be useful.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:41PM

My experience has been exactly the opposite - the so called "bridge" guides do not fit well in-between the regular spinning and fly type guides.

I see no real practical purpose for them, but if others do, so be it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster