I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mixing epoxy
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:21PM

Among other things that I have put off over time has been a epoxy mixer. Again this is another thing that I shouldn't have overlooked. I don't worry about bubbles now unless I'm just doing quick repairs and hand mixing. I would recommend using one if you want to get around those tiny little bubbles that drive you nuts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mixing epoxy
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:35PM

Sammy,
I never worry about mixing epoxy, fast, slow or somewhere in betwen.
I also never worry about bubbles.
I simply mix the 1:1 mix - by volume epoxy in a container for 120 seconds using a flat blade.

I apply the finish, and then go over all of the coated wraps with a heat gun if necessary, to thin, let the epoxy flow, and also drive out any bubbles that might happened to have been in the mix.

Quick, simple and easy.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:18PM

Even heated epoxy has micro bubbles left in it. The difference in clarity can be seen, or I should say noticed, by the naked eye, even though the micro bubbles can't be. The precise, slow, mechanical mixed batch will be brighter and clearer nearly every time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 09:28PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:23PM

I agree Sammy. Since using a mixer I have enjoyed very consistent mixes without worries. I set a timer for 4 minutes and remove dust from wraps and flame fuzzies during that time.

Chuck

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 04:31AM

I feel a power mixer is the greatest, I will never mix by hand again. Make sure to get some stainless steel marbles to put in the mix.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 04:54PM

Bill,

When using a power mixer, I assume that you you are referring to the type that uses a tilted rotating cup, with some stainless steel balls in the cup being stirred by the rotation of the cup?

If so, what cleaning procedure do you use for the stainless balls so that you can use them on the next mix.

Do you just wipe them off with an alchol soaked paper towel or drop them in a bottle of alchol to clean or??????

I dislike wasting a lot of finish and I assume that if you have more than about one ball in the finish, you end up with a bit of finish being wiped away during the cleanup of the balls?

Thanks much.
Roger

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 08:13PM

Roger

After mixing my finish I pour the steel ball onto the foil right along with the finish. After completely finishing my wraps I take a small magnet and pick the ball out of the left over finish and drop it into a alcohol wetted paper towel for cleaning. No need to hurry cleaning the ball, and the only wasted finish is the leftovers I'm not going to use anyway.

Rog

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 07:21AM

Roger,

Yes, that is the unit I use. It is great and you will not regret gfetting one.

I also pour the ball and all onto the foil. when done i simply pick up the ball with a paper towell and was with denatured alcohol. There is no waste.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster