I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Duuuhhhhh...... following instructions.
Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:52PM

Ever have one of those days where you try to follow the instructions and just can't seem to make it work out no matter how hard you try? I was following Pat's tutorial on snake skin courtesy Mudhole:

Remove under layer of skin. When the skin is cut in step 4, ~ leaves a small piece of skin underneath the top skin. This is easily removed by lifting the top skin and pulling the skin underneath Irom the rod.

After gluing the skin on the blank with CP, I ended up pulling it back off and trying to figure out for 20 minutes why I couldn't get this magical layer of skin to peel off. By the time I was done my skin looked like something out of a science fair project.... and then the light bulb lit when I realized he was only talking about the little tag end after being cut with the razor, not a seperate layer of skin over the entire length. There needs to be a library of rodbuilding video's.... it saves stupid people like me much time when you get a visual to go along with the words.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Duuuhhhhh...... following instructions.
Posted by: John Barbee (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:59PM

I would love some videos, but i already spent my annual budget and it is only February

Rodbuilding, cheaper than therapy.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:04PM

Duhhhh,,,Phil I have done very similar things but I never had the brass to tell anyone about it. I always just glance over my shoulder and go on like nothing happened !!!!!! LOL

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:34PM

Thats not too bad, wait until I tell you what I did one time.

Well no, never mind

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:14PM

Phil,
That's funny! Mainly because I had to read the directions about 4 times to be sure I knew exactly what Pat meant by removing the extra layer.

clyde

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:19PM

That was covered in Joe Emig's original article in RodMaker.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:59PM

I found a few simple videos on YouTube and linked to them on my website "The Rodbuilder's Library".

I've been playing with the idea of making a video or two myself to post there as well and if anyone does
make any video tutorials on rod building I would love to be able to post them there as well. Video files
can be to large to distribute via email so a website like mine would be perfect for that.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 04:20AM

I couldn't find Joes article in my Rodmaker collection. I've got to come up with a better way of organizing the magazines so I can find particular articles easier.

Posted by: Todd Wymer (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 11:24PM

well phil.....i have made so many mistakes....and still do..........cant wait till my next one. it will probly be a big one. but we still keep goin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster