I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank recomendation
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:38PM

need a light weight 7'6" spinning rod blank Med power with plenty of backbone and fast action.
Was looking at a CTS EBT17646. Can't find a weight spec on it. A rx7 HS932 would be the ticket, but it needs to be as light as possible. (guy has bad wrists). so i would like to keep the blank under 2oz.
this is for smallie fishing in the detroit river... which means 4-6lb smallies in up to 25 FOW in stout current at times... dragging tubes.

Regards,
-Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank recomendation
Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 04:02PM

Check out the St. Croix 5S76MF-G. It's 1.8 ozs and has the characteristics you're looking for.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 04:21PM

Justin -- Robert beat me to it, as that was exactly what I was going to mention. These new SC 5 blanks are awesome!! 1.8 ounces for a 7 ft. - 6 in. medium action. For a high performance, lightweight, high modulus blank, they are also very durable.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 05:12PM

Justin , I have a SC rod 7 foot that i use for large & small mouth fishing and just awsome .

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ussignalcom.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:02AM

Thanks Guys -
Judging by the tip/butt dimensions on the croix blank - it might be a little too light action. He basically has a kistler he76mhs that came with a broken tip. They sent him a new one but he still has the broken blank. Wants me to strip the hardware and build as close to the same rod on a new blank. Free set of sic guides for him basically.

The kistler site lists the specs as
# Power: Medium-Heavy
# Action: Fast
# Lure Wt: 1/4 - 3/4 oz
# Line Wt: 12 - 20 lb

So probably more like a xx903 of some fashion.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: justin keithley (---.ussignalcom.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 09:04AM

Maybe like a CTS EST17646?

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 17, 2009 11:15AM

Rainshadow® Salmon/Steelhead Hotshot Rod Blanks Featuring RX7 Graphite
(Power Available: L = Light, ML = Medium Light, M = Medium, MH = Medium Heavy, H = Heavy) (Color Key: M = Matte Clear)
Model Color Length Sections Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt Tip Action Power Blank Wt.

HS9001 M 7’6” 1 8-20 lb. 1/4-3/4 oz. 0.490 5.0 X-Fast ML 1.98 oz.

HS932 M 7’9” 1 12-20 lb. 1/2-2 1/2 oz. 0.560 5.0 X-Fast M 3.00 oz.
HS962 M 8’0” 1 12-20 lb. 3/4-3 oz. 0.580 5.5 X-Fast M 3.28 oz.

The tip on the HS9001 is just about as fast as it gets and would be a great choice in my opinion.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: February 17, 2009 11:19AM

Check out the XP3 904 Castaway blank from Swampland. They list it as a moderate action, but it measures closer to fast than moderate for me. At 2.4 ozs, it's a little heavier than what you asked for, but it's as light as or lighter than the other similar powered rods I have built on.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 17, 2009 06:14PM

I'm with Karry, the 9001 would be more than enough blank for smallies.

Date: February 17, 2009 08:56PM

I like the 9001 but it won't be close to the Kistler he's asked him to match. The Kistler is a fairly traditional medium heavy bass rod, almost a soft flipping stick. I've got the 7' version in the LTA series and it's more backbone than the 9001. It also has a beefier tip.

If you don't like the Castaway XP3 904, you can try Rainshadow IFS904 (3.29 ozs), Lamiglass MB90 1F (4 ozs) or the Phenix UMBX-707H-B (2.4 ozs). I've not built on the Phenix, but the others are nice.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 17, 2009 10:55PM

These aren't your run of the mill smallies - but mainly the river conditions dictate the beefy rod. There is a lot of current there and the big smallies use it. Like fighting a steelhead in a river, only you set hook into him when he's 20 feet down and the current is just as strong down there.

Anyway - i have hs932 i'm building on and its probably a good fit... but its too heavy (ozs) compared to the kistler blank. if there was an rx8+ version that would probably be the ticket.
UMBX-707H-B looks close.

Regards,
-Justin

Date: February 18, 2009 03:44PM

I agree. Karry needs to bring us a 7'6" MH RX8. It would be a great rod and I could probably sell 10 of them just by making calls to customers that already have an RX8. I have yet to sell an RX8 that the buyer wasn't very happy with. They are very light with a fast crisp action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster