I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Poor man's accent rings
Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 04:03AM

Hey everyone,

I was looking for some ideas on some home make accent rings. I have seen crafting foam and saw where someone suggested using old credit cards. The latter seems real interesting, because it could really save me some big bucks in the future! How do these items feel to you when matched to burl and cork? Also, what other types of items have people used to add a little accent flair to their grips. All workshop tinkerers feel free to chime in!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poor man's accent rings
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:39AM

cut rings from bleach bottles, use laundry soap bottles for other colors

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:52AM

Just about any thing that will lay flat and bond with some kind of glue, most of the time Rod Bond. If your not sure do a test on scrap pieces.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:02AM

Various color covers for DVD's and CD's make great looking and functional rings for a Tenn Handle. Keeps the reel seat from digging in to your cork. Rubber/cork truck -car gasket material (get the thin) make wonderful highlight ring for handles. Experiment and enjoy!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:14AM

Stu; Here is one I like to use on cork. The sample box has many different colors.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:25PM

Aluminum soft dring cans makes nice trim rings when used in between dark colored material. I haven't used it on rod handles but I have used them on pens before.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.70.227.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 12:34PM

When you mix your finish, save the leftover. When dry, rings. Even before it drys add a drop of tint, colored ring

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 02:49PM

Poker chips.

Walt

Posted by: Stu Walden (---.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 03:25PM

Barry I think it's time to do a load of whites!

Jay, i really dig the look of those tile rings that is real sharp.

Now that is creative Bill. I like!! Who knows maybe some marble trim rings next?!

Walt, I would use poker chips, but i tend to go on tilt and lose 'em!

Thanks for the input guys.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.85.29.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 05:46PM

Try going to Home Depot and look at there garbage cans in the back of the store, ( if it is free-it is for me )

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:30PM

I punch trim rings out of white & black 2 - 3mm hospital grade solid neoprene sheet.
Most stores that carry rubber & foam have it............ cheap as chips, doesn't perish, thin & flat, & quick.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jerry Chambers (---.dsl1.pwll.tn.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:55PM

Graphite arbors work great with cork. I use size GA30, they are a little over 1 inch in diameter. Here is a picture of one of the first rods that I built with a Tennessee handle and arbors to mount the reel on. They are very durable and easy to work with.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bob Manis (12.4.195.---)
Date: February 18, 2009 10:20AM

Jay,

What kind of equipment are you using to cut out the ring of tile and polish it? How are you drilling the center hole? I REALLY like the look!

Thanks,

Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 18, 2009 10:30AM

I use a 1 1/2" hole saw. It cuts a ring 1bout 1 1/4" with a center hole (I enlarge the holes with a flexcoat bit. Also works great on auto gasket material, acrylic sheets, cork sheets. Just about any material you can think of. I use it in a table top drill press ($39 at Harbor Freight)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster