I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Cermet guids groove
Posted by: Eddie Anderson (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 03:02PM

Has anyone seen Fuji Gold cermet rings grove?

I had a customer bring me a custom rod with Cermets to be replaced. The first 5 guides plus the tip are all grooved.
He uses 8 lb mono and uses the rod to wade fish. This rod was built in 2003.

IF replace them with Cermets will this happen again?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Cermet guids groove
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 03:56PM

You have got to be kidding Eddie? 8# line making cermets groove? WOW! No disrespect, but are you sure they are real cermets? I find it hard to believe that real cermets would groove from 8# line. Unless there is some wierd anomoly with the sand on his line...something has to be going on here. I'll wait to see what other folks say....

Paul

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2009 04:15PM

Like Paul said, WOW, Are you sure that they are gold cermets?? Just because they are gold doesn't mean anything

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2009 04:32PM

Sounds like someone got taken for a ride on the cost of the "gold cermets". Cermets should stand up to wire lines. Somebody pocketed some extra change on that rod build!!

Date: February 15, 2009 07:43PM

They have the Guide size and Fuji stamped on them. But counterfits did come to mind.
I wonder if Fuji could have had a bad batch in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 07:46PM by Eddie Anderson.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2009 08:13PM

I don't believe the Gold Cermet rings are all that hard. They are touted as "thinner", "lighter" and even "smoother" ... but I have NEVER seen them advertised as harder or highly durable.

Instead of guessing, called Anglers Resource in the morning. They are GREAT people AND they will stand behind their product. IMO, there is even a good possibility that they may choose to warranty them for you and your client.

Jim -

Posted by: Eric Nelson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: February 15, 2009 08:31PM

From Fuji's 2009 Catalog

"Gold Cermet is just what the doctor
ordered to spice up your custom rod.
Unlike competitors that just plate their
rings in gold, this solid gold ceramic
ring features the durability of metal
combined with the hardness of a
ceramic."

Sounds to me like they should be holding up to to anything 8 lb mono could dish out.

Eric

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 09:02PM

Eddie,

Make sure to keep us all updated on what happens with those guides. ANY modern ceramic ring will, hold up well to any nylon line....something there isn't "right" for sure.

DR

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2009 09:08PM

I'm going to second calling Angler's Resource. I have had issues i teh past with certain guides which I purchased from Japan, and they still went out of their way to look into the problem and get it resolved.

Date: February 15, 2009 11:16PM

I will call Angle's Resource in the morning. Thanks guys.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (124.40.47.---)
Date: February 16, 2009 06:19AM

Wow... I'm thinking fake. I've had rods I picked up with Fuji gold ringed guides and had the gold wear off..... here in Japan too. Come to find out the maker put their own coating over the guides to make them look pretty. I just assumed they were cermet.

I've cermets with braid for mahi mahi and yellowfin tuna and never seen one groove. They are sweet guides but hard to justify the extra money over SiC.

Phil

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:20AM

I was just talkijng to one of my suppliers last week, and he has generally stopped carrying gold guides.
He indicated that irrespective of the manufacturer, he has found that it is difficult to have the gold remain on the guide for a long term heavy use fisherman.

He has talked to many of the tackle manufacturers and it seems that most of the guides are a different material with a gold color over the guide. In most cases - under very heavy use, the gold color wears off - whether it is metal, paint or something else.

Let me know what others have found on long term - GOLD - guide use.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 09:25AM

I don't believe it! I grew up in machining, and the term cermet means "ceramic with metallic binders". We used to use cermet cutting tools on cnc lathest to finish turn 4140 steel at a cutting speed of 900 feet per minute, and the tools lasted a long time.

Something is a little fishey?????

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 10:10AM

Roger, whoever your supplier was he wasn't talking abotu Fuji Gold Cermet. Gold Cermet is a very popular guide on Japanese factory rods, and has been for quite some time. Either you are referring to non-Fuji gold ring guides, or Gold plated guide frames.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 11:13AM

Billy,
I believe that you are right.
I think that he was referring to the frames, not the guide ring.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jason Kesckes (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 07:55PM

No way. I use gold cermet on my flipping sticks with 4o# braid and that hasnt even tarnished them in the 3 years I have been using it. I cant believe it is authentic. Just my 2c

Jason Kesckes. Aint no fish'n like bass fish'n

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2009 08:43PM

Hey Eddie,

real Cermet, it will never happen. I've had customers like Jason. Braid, heavy usage, 150-200 days a year fishing, not one sign of wear after years.

Please keep us informed on the outcome

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2009 08:48PM by Bruce Vetre.

Date: February 17, 2009 08:02PM

I talked to Danni at Anglers resource to day. He said they had never had a problem with the cermets, but he said I should send them in and they will replace them . off to the post office tomarrow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster