I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Squeaking guides - Part 2
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:25AM

Following up a prior post I made where a rod was singing the creaks when flexed. I stripped the guides off that rod, underwraps and all. Instead of wrapping with D, I wrapped with A & B (something I never do). In addition, I wrapped an identical rod, withteh same guide style, also with A &B. I coated both underwraps with Threadmaster at teh same time. I put a coat of straight Aftcote on the guide wraps last night, leaving light source on for about 8 hours, so the first coat cured at probably 90 degrees. I went downstairs, and even though I know I shouldnt' have, I flexed both rods.

Teh new rod, has a slight click, which is pretty normal for teh rod the first time it is flexed. I take the re-wrapped one out, and when it flexes, it once again creaks, not as bad as before, but still not nearly as "quiet" as teh other rod. SAme guides, same thread, same tension, same batch of epoxy, I used straight Aftcote and didn't slop it on, to make sure it wsnt' teh Propane flaming I usually use.

Conclusion - I dunno, I think it's a couple of the actual guides themselves making the noise. I know when I removed teh guides and left teh underwraps on the blank, there was no noise, so I know it's not the underwraps moving around on teh blank. I am pretty confidant that the problem isn't me or anythign that I'm doing wrong, so there isn't much else I can do except finish the rod and hand them over.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Squeaking guides - Part 2
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.t1.cavtel.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:32AM

Billy, if you feel that it is the guides, what do you think about removing a single guide at a time and fully flexing after the removal of each guide?? If you still have noise you know you need to keep removing. You might be able to easily isolate the guide in this manner or you could just strip off the guides chuck em all in the ditch and put on a new set???

Tom

Date: February 14, 2009 08:46AM

Thom, I tried that the first time. I ended up with all of them coming off, lol. YOu cannot distinguish which one is making the most noise, I'm not a Physics major, but I thnk teh sound resonates through the blank.

As a goof, I re-read the other panic post I threw up the other day. Steve & Charlie menioned using oil. I spoke to a friend the other night who suggested using KY..more of a joke than anything else. I had a demo rod which had a couple of noisemaker guides on it I threw together for the show last year. As a rule, I never trust anyone's opinions or advice, until I've tried it myself. I even try things I know that are dumb, just in case. Guess what happened when I sprayed that other rod with WD-40? no more noise. I do not like WD-40 on rods, guides, reels, as it invites gunk build up, so I'm gonna have to see if I can spray teh guides, elminate noise, then clean the excess off with alcohol and see if that works.

Better to worry abotu this in public, getting made fun of, than to have someone buy 2 of my rods and tell al his friend about his new pair of squeakers (for those in the South, tennis shoes = sneakers)

Date: February 14, 2009 08:51AM

Billy, did you re-use the same set when you put them back on? it is a shame there is not some way to measure harmonics of the guide.

Tom

Date: February 14, 2009 08:56AM

SAme exact set, and I made sure to get all the dried epoxy off (there was some in the middle of the 2 legs where they meet to make teh guide foot), adn wipe them with alcohol - just in case that ws the problem, I tried covering all my bases. I'm happy that it happened again, adn even happier that I think the spray oil will make it noise stop.

[www.gonemovies.com]

Date: February 14, 2009 09:03AM

ok first off let me preclude this by saying I have been at work now for 12 hours and thankfully only have a couple left. you could do the ole mechanic trick use a long shaft of some sort (i.e. screwdriver) place on each guide and flex it. You will pick up the noise. would at least allow you to isolate where it is coming from... what if you were to take out the rod and give it a short bit of use to try and work out the squeak? This is all that I can think of vice tossing out the complete guide set.

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.37.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:32AM

I had this happen on a saltwater spinning rod I built...probably the 5 or 6th rod I had built. I used the big double foot stainless pac bay guides it squeaked a bit but I chalked it up to the guide feet moving a bit inside the thread wraps kinda like the sound you get when glass gets squeaky clean.

It don't do it now so I guess the problem solved itself.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:37AM

Trapped air is to blame 99% of the time when you hear squeaks and clicks. The good news is that IF that is the cause, it WILL go away ... thank goodness.

It doesn't happen often with good technique, but it WILL happen occasionally. It is frustrating and I don't know of anything that will prevent it from getting you occasionally.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:57AM

Trapped air,,,,,,,Billy did you give the wraps a good soaking of CP prior to finish ???

Date: February 14, 2009 10:21AM

When I cut teh guides off, there were no air bubbles in teh tunnel, or between the guide legs and the finish on any of the guides. I suspect it is from teh guide shifting around under teh guide wraps - which makes sense the first time when I used D which isn't as strong as A or B. This time I used more tension, and A under and B over. It was NOT FUN wrapping size A up the Fuji HB size 20, which I do not grind but comes half prepped from teh factory. I have done a dozen rods with the same guide sets, everything the same except the thread size and how I applied finish between the guide feet, never had this happen before. This is why I blamed the guides.

However, if teh WD-40 "fixed" teh problem, it most certainly is the guide shifting around - the area between teh guide feet is where the spray went, so this must be the problem area. I dunno. I usually spray with Lemon Pledge, so maybe that acted as a lubricant on the other rods which didn't squeak, I have no idea. The good thing is, those who read this and run into it, know that you canmake it go away with a minimal amount of oil. Who knows, maybe water is all it needs?

I amcomfortable knowing I will never make an Alvin and the Chipmunks rod ever again...unless it's a grip inlay, lol.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2009 10:21AM

Billy; try a liquid car wax such as "ICE" or other silicone wax. The wax may fill in the spot on the guide that is causing the squeak and after drying will not cause the same build up problems as WD40.

The noise be coming from the rings shifting around in the frames when flexed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 10:23AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 11:28AM

Glad the WD-40 worked for you. Funny that the squeak never returns after many rod cleanings. It worked and I just accept it.

IMHO; it's the 'old fingernail on the blackboard' phenomena that drove the teacher bonkers.

Getting into rod harmonics: Steve Gardner and I 'talked' briefly about this when I mentioned that some rods 'feel good' while others feel discordant. I discovered it while wrapping(fooling around) with different variations of his Tennessee handle.

I built stringed musical instruments at one time. These consisted of a string stretched across a air chamber which serves as an amplifier. This sounded like a fishing rod to me so one rainy day when I had time, I hooked up a transducer, amplifier and a scope and found that indeed; different rods have different tones. This only worked with the hollow(a la Steve Gardner) rod handles. It works to a lesser extent on a solid Tennessee handle.

I also found that the line makes a noise when it's stretched and pulled through a guide. I think, repeat think that a guide makes some sound while flexing. Just because we can't hear it, it's still there.

I wonder if the fish can hear these sounds? Some pretty sensitive critters here . Just something to ponder.

Happy Valentines Day. I bought mine some Flexcote CP. C2

Posted by: Chris Davis (---.knology.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 12:58PM

Charlie-
There have been times I've thought they could hear what I was saying about them.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 15, 2009 05:06AM

Billy
Everything you have done indicates that its neither the wraps moving on the blank/guide or the guide moving on the blank.
It is most likely one of 4 causes:-
- Ring moving in the frame ( very unlikely ..........especially in that series of guide )
- The metal in the frame creaking ( very unlikely .........but does happen ..........the suspect location is where the long rear frame legs join
the ringframe .....................)
- Epoxy on the legs ( not the feet ) moving on the legs during flexing ( very unlikely as you cleaned them with alcohol )

- **** the black finish coat moving on the frame as it flexes ( much more common ).............results from contamination prior to the coating
process. - this is still very uncommon , but the most likely cause. ****

WD 40 can & will dry to a thin varnish like finish over time....................if you use INOX this does not happen, it never dries out completely.
CRC 2-26 also doesn't dry out................the more common cheaper CRC water dispersant / lubricant spray can be problematic.

If lubrication solves your noise problem , a longer term solution would be to avoid WD 40 for one of the alternatives.
That way it will be less of an issue to re-emerge if your customer does not lubricate it again.

You can rest easy.............that you have gone the extra yard to make sure you were not creating the problem.

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 15, 2009 07:25AM

Website problems......................double post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2009 02:45PM by Denis Brown.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster