I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Expo
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 03:55PM

We'll be arriving in NC on Wednesday or Thursday. It's my first Expo & first time to NC. Are there any good tackle shops relatively close to the Hotel High Point? Any other worthy attractions to check out? We are going to check out the hiking trails, etc.

Thanks!

Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Expo
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2009 04:03PM

Like most places, tackle shops are on the downswing. But, you have K&J in Jamestown about 10 to 15 minutes east of the Showplace. Fishing Fever is 10 minutes to the south on Fairfield Road. Gander Mountain in Greensboro. Bass Pro Shops in Concord/Charlotte.

Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 04:19PM

If you are looking for dining options, shopping and 'things to do' while in High Point visit the High Point Convention Visitors Bureau website @ [www.highpoint.org]

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 04:23PM

We're stopping at Bass Pro in Ohio. I've been to the website - just wondering what the other rod builders do while waiting for the expo to open.

Thanks

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 05:11PM

Chuck you will be amazed. This will be my second one. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 06:50PM

Dave's tackle,
Tom would have to give you directions, but outside of a chain type store, he would be my choice. Lots of good stuff that other don't have.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 07:01PM

Chuck, while Woodcraft will be displaying products at teh ICRBE, tehir shop is like 15-20 minutes away in Greensboro, right across teh street from teh Bass Pro Shops. VEry nice shop which was well stocked with wood turning stuff.

Date: February 13, 2009 07:13PM

Billy its Gander Mountain that is in Greensboro across from Woodcraft, the BPS is actually in Concord, just above Charlotte

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 07:19PM

Woodcraft isn't listed as an exhibitor. Are they going to be there???

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: February 13, 2009 08:30PM

No, Woodcraft will not be there. Klingspor's WoodWorking Shop will be, however. Their product line is similar, if not even more extensive.

Date: February 13, 2009 09:31PM

I just struck out. First it was Aftcote, then Gander Mountain, and now Woodcraft. I apologize for getting stuff mixed up that bad, lol.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 09:37PM

It's okay Billy. You're carrying a heavy load - being the HNIC and all.

Thanks for the ideas. It helps.

My wife and I also enjoy seafood and I received a couple suggestions via e-mail. We've read much about NC BBQ, but not really sure what that is. Is it shredded beef on a bun? We love BBQ beef ribs, woodsmoked if available. I guess you'd call it Texas style.

Looking forward to meeting new friends and putting faces on names!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2009 09:52PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 11:07PM

Gee, and the NERBS all go to OutBack.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: February 14, 2009 07:04AM

Barbeque in NC is chopped or sliced pork.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 08:10AM

"Its okay Billy. You're carrying a heavy load-being the HNIC and all"...heavy load in the form of about 50 extra pounds!!!! LOL. Think BBQ pulled pork sandwich.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Date: February 14, 2009 08:16AM

50#'s my butt. No...not , damn. I'm stuck on 215#, when we met I was probably 205#. Difference is any muscle I had was replaced with....non-muscle.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.t1.cavtel.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:06AM

Steve, would Dave's tackle be the same Daves of Dave's spinnerbaits??

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Jim Creed (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 09:38AM

not sure of the distance from high point to eden nc, around 30-35 miles, you need to check out rays bait and tackle, its a very interesting place and packed full of everything you could ever need.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 10:18AM

K & J Tackle is Daves tournament tackle , there has been a name change several years ago but locals know it by both. Stop by Sammy Mickles booth at the show (Mickles Custom Rods) and he can give you directions to his place. Sammy does a lot of buisness with Dave , and it is a shop worth stopping at , very good inventory and specialty items not found at Bass Pro Shops. I'll try to post some others later.

Date: February 14, 2009 10:25AM

Thomas; that is correct, and Mike Thompson is also correct

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster