I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 peice pole stuck together
Posted by: George Kuhn (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2009 12:21AM

I have a 2 peice pole that is stuck together. It's made out of graphite, the 2 peices join together about 20 inches from the reel seat. The rod is a muskie rod. I've tried several methods, including heat and cold, two people pulling and twisting in opposite directions. ALL methods have been done with the utmost care and concern for the rod. It's not a telescopic pole either. So if I could get some help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank You all very much.
George Kuhn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 peice pole stuck together
Posted by: Joe McKishen (---.cmdnnj.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 02:52AM

Take the pole between your knees, with a good grip on both sections and use your legs to pull the rod apart. Use some foam rubber or similar material to increase your grip on the rod. I've even gotten one apart that someone super glued.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2009 08:02AM

Did you read the article by Bill Colby on his ferrule tool in a past issue of RodMaker? It helps greatly to have a greater surface area for your hands to purchase. Try making one by using a piece of EVA which holds a piece of that non-slip rubber stuff on the inside. This allows you to grab onto something many times larger in OD than the blank and apply a great deal more pressure. Make 2 so you can place one on each section. This is a great help.

Prior to using the tool, I'd wrap an ice bag around the ferrule for about 10 minutes.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 10:19AM

If you can put it in a freezer for a few minutes. It works even better than cooling with ice. I've been able to separate a couple of rods by doing so and then using something similar to Colby's tool or a similar gripping aid to pull them apart. The advice given above by Joe is also helpful in the process.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: February 13, 2009 11:15AM

I would try pouring hot water over the female side of the ferrule, and do as Joe suggests.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 04:05PM

Use your wife's rubber dishwashing gloves and twist as always- I guarantee it.
Herb

Date: February 14, 2009 12:50AM

Hey, thanks to all, I think I'm going to be making a couple of "torque increasers" and incorporating quite a few of the suggestions. Then I will be able to get at the real reason that I have the rod to work on, a very, very loose reel seat and fore grip. Again, thanks to all.
George Kuhn

Date: February 14, 2009 12:52AM

I missed that one. I think I better pull out my past issues and do some looking! Thanks!

Posted by: Joseph C Phelps (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 14, 2009 05:12PM

Did the builder glue it togather? Joe

Posted by: George Kuhn (69.23.89.---)
Date: February 18, 2009 12:36AM

It's not a custom rod, it was made by Diawa. It is made for muskie, and not a telescopic fishing rod. I have been able to move it a little, enough that the guides are not inline with the reel seat. Also, I have spoken with the owner, and he knows that it came apart. I will just have to keep trying. Thank you for your help and time. George Kuhn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster