I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule pin on bamboo rod?
Posted by: Chris Holm (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 12:11AM

Hi there. I have acquired a very nice, swollen butt, 8'6", 5 pc. bamboo pack rod probably c. 1910. Looks like all Chubb hardware with no mark except "509" in pencil on each section. It needs rehab in every way and I want to fish it this summer so here I go!

The female ferrule at the butt section is pinned with a piece of nickel silver wire. All other sections are pinned with what appears to be a nickel silver brad with a nice head that will be easy to extract. The wire pin in the butt section ferrule goes all the way through the bamboo and has made an impression on the other side of the ferrule; so driving the pin down to remove the ferrule is not an option. I figure I can drill out the portion necessary to remove the ferrule. Admittedly I am a bit anxious about putting a drill to a nice hand welted nickel silver ferrule....

I intend to clamp the blank to my bench and work the pin with a drill bit in my Dremel. Is this going to be successful or can any of you offer me a bit of wisdom regarding an alternate approach?

Thanks a million.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule pin on bamboo rod?
Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.sip.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 08:19AM

Chris,
The best bamboo builders and restorers hang out on this forum: [clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com]. Post your question there as well.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2009 08:31AM

It will be successful but you'll end up with a hole on the other side of the ferrule as well. I suspect the head of that pin has broken and detached over the years.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 13, 2009 02:29PM

Having done this a few times, I would not dril all the way through from the broken side. If the other side is dimples enough to see it you are going to have to smooth that out anyway..
Are you taking the ferrule off to reseat it or do you jaust want to make the ferrule look original??
You could carefully drill the pin from the broken side with a small bit. I would go with a .038 and slow speed. the problem with pulling the ferrule with the dimpled part is that that will catch and just be a real problem. You could try leveling out that dimple and then also drill partialy from that end. I don't know if I would tyr hand drilling. I'd be more in favor of doing any drill with a drill press. Too much slipping and going crooked by hand.
HTH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2009 03:11PM

Let me mention one other idea - with a pin punch, tap the side of the ferrule that is dimpled. That may move the pin back out of the opposite side, exposing just enough that you can grasp it with a good pair of strong tweezers and remove it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster