I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

N.C. barbeque
Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 07:53PM

Tom,
Glad the reception is on a Friday. Maybe this year I'll be able to sample some of the barbeque I've heard so much about. Last year, I was told these placs are not open on Sunday. Hopefully somebody can advise me as to a couple of good restaurants. Looking forward to the show.

Bill Marchisella

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: N.C. barbeque
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:16PM

That will definitely wet your appetite and get you ready for the better BBQ just a few short hours away in South Carolina.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:29PM

i am not trying to start any squabbles or bickering or open any old wounds but if i was in the area with a bit of time i would run to lexington for lexington barbeque! it is renowned and i regret i could not park my truck anywhere close to it.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:34PM

I'm taking notes so keep the suggestions coming!

Chuck

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:34PM

Double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2009 10:19PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 08:49PM

There are some good pulled pork BBQ places right on Main St. north of the Radison, but they close EARLY. Leave the show and head straight up there before they close. Last year, Colleen and I had to run out for some printer supplies once the show closed and everything was shut down already. Everything except one... We saw a "BBQ" sign a couple miles north of the hotel and the place was still open. It was called "Cook Out". I was jonesing for some BBQ, so in we went. After about two bites, I was convinced it was cat food on a bun. I have a couple friends that live in town there that cracked up when I told them where we went. One of them told me that one of the best in town is right across the street from the cat food on a bun place.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:06PM

Hendrix Barbeque in Spencer, or Salisbury, will be tough to beat.

"Cook Out" is a chain - not at all in the same league as the real Barbeque places around here.

Posted by: Pat Helton (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:25PM

I ate some of that pulled pork stuff one time and they had poured some kind of vinegar concoction on it. They didn't have any brisket either. How can you call yourself a BBQ joint and not serve brisket?
Pat

Posted by: mike harris (---.unknown.charter.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:37PM

Last year I had lunch at Kepleys BBQ a couple of miles north of the showplace on Main St. I liked it a lot, but it is hardcore Eastern NC style, with red slaw and spicy vinegar for sauce, that style is not for everyone.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:04PM

I have to leave the show early on Saturday cause I have to take the wife to a resturant in Durham call Bullocks. The place has good BBQ. Hope my brother brings a wheel barrel to wheel me out. Myself, I would like to go futher east to a place called Scotts in Goldsboro.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: February 11, 2009 11:59PM

I've never understood all the vinegar and red BBQ sauce... I mean come on, why spoil good pork with ketchup?

BBQ Sauce is mustard based.

And BBQ also isn't all your friends coming over for a grill out.

-----------------
AD

Date: February 12, 2009 12:16AM

Witch is better sause or Dry rub

Bill Marchisella

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.nclxtn.lexcominc.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 12:44AM

Lexington BBQ is king of the hill and just happens to be on the a hill right off of I 85 southbound. It's probably 20 to 25 minutes from the Show place and stays opens till around 9 p.m. saturday night. We have about 7 others in town but for best all around including tea, slaw and hush puppies Lexington BBQ is very hard to beat. Some of our guys have ventured into brisket but it hasn't caught on yet. To clarify something "Lexington" style bbq is not totally vinegar based, it's more of a blend of ketchup and vinegar. The Eastern style has a sauce based on mustard and the knock offs have more of the heavy vinegar base. If you take my advice Lexington BBQ also has a house sauce called "Smoke House" and it's more of a pepper sauce and is awesome.
Bill they don't use rubs down here in the restaurants but I make it a standard practice on my chicken and ribs and then top it off at the end with a sauce. I've got to stop here, I feel a like I've seen this talk about eating somewhere else....

Posted by: Robert Russell (65.39.122.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 07:30AM

If ya'll need to some good BBQ, let me know and I'll ship some of the best BBQ in the world out there for you from the BBQ capital of the world, Lockhart, TX. Wish I was going to make it in person and I'd bring you some so that you wouldn't have to suffer with that inderior stuff out there.

Bill, dry rub is the best. Sauce is only needed when they can't figure out how to make flavorful meat.

:)

Take care all and have a safe trip

Posted by: Ash Carlton (---.fairchildproducts.com)
Date: February 12, 2009 09:00AM

Bill, send me an email.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 10:49AM

Haha... I am actually looking forward to trying the Carolina style BBQ in person. I made up some of the sauce from the recipe in the BBQ Bible last year for my big cook out. Did a few diff sauces for people to put on the butt I smoked...only a few of us liked the Carolina style.....man I am getting hungry.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Hal Lambert (74.255.96.---)
Date: February 12, 2009 11:03AM

Stay away from Lexington...go farther east and get some good ole' Williamsburg county BBQ. Stay away from that mustard based stuff!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2009 11:07AM

Many cities no longer allow wood fires/smoke, which is how the pork was traditionally prepared until just a few years ago. I believe Lexington and Salisbury still allow this, however, and the difference in taste and tenderness is noticeable.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2009 12:52PM

Tom, thanks for the tip. I was hoping to find wood smoked BBQ. I am flying into Raleigh on Thurs... definately going to find some BBQ somewhere

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Date: February 12, 2009 04:49PM

I didn't know you guys were that serious about your barbeque. Thanks for the advice.

Bill Marchisella

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster