I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flipping Rod, Spinning Stripper.....
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 07:29PM

This is the reason I am looking for the Forhan book. I was talking about flipping rods this weekend with a customer. He mentioned that he constantly has problems with the slack line wrapping around hookkeepers, reel handles, the reel, etc. when he lets go of the line he was holding for the flip. I have a vauge recollection of someone (possibly Rich) talking about using a spinning guide as a sort of stripper in front of the reel to help prevent this. I am going to play around with taping some on to my flipping rods just to see what it does, but I was hoping someone might remember something about this, or have some info to offer.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flipping Rod, Spinning Stripper.....
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 10, 2009 07:44PM

Don't remember that in my hard copy of the book, but I may have an older version as some others have things in their book I don't see in mine. It's bad technique to let loose of the line, at least that was the way Stan Fagerstrom taught me.to do it. I was to follow the line, with my hand, right back to the levelwind just about.

Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.applwi.broadband.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 07:54PM

I saw an episode of Scott Martin Challenge on WFN where it appeared that the flipping/pitiching rod he was using had a a spinning guide closest to the reel. I think it was a telescoping blank and the spinning guide looked to be about the end of the butt section. It looked like the remainder of the rod was wrapped conventionally. Unfortunately, like most shows the didn't show much except him fighting hooked up fish so I couldn't really see how or if he was making use of that guide.

Date: February 10, 2009 08:08PM

Spencer, I'm with you on the technique thing. I also learned that it is incorrect to leave slack line. I sat in a class with Denny Brauer this weekend. He also talked about the same thing, but try telling a customer they are wrong with a technique they think they are good at.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 08:44PM

Design and placement of the hook keeperis critical. Fishermen handle the blank differently. The keeper may not always in the same position on the blank circumference. It will prove to be more beneficial if it is demonstrated correctly rather than telling someone they are wrong. I have many customers who make no real distinction between flipping and pitching. I have found that those with hook keeper problems are those who end up regularly pull of large length of line in back lash removal mode - in those cases I find it best if the keeper is on the back side of the blank from the hand they strip line. We will have an opportunity to watch closely as Rich Forhan details the procedures in his seminar at High Point.

Date: February 10, 2009 08:59PM

Bill,
I know what your saying. From talking to the guy I would say that the hookkeeper is the least of his problem's. He is getting it caught up on the reel and reel handle.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 09:02PM

Scott the next time the guy drops by ask him if you can look under his shirt collar on the back side - if you see Braid Burn Striping you will know where to put the next hook keeper on his rods!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:33PM

Scott;
I have one built that way with a guide mounted similar to this, it is mounted 10 inches in front to the face of the reel, but it is an 8mm casting guide. I did this for a couple of reasons
First; when using braids it does in fact keep the line away from the reels handle preventing tangles. My hook keeper is behind the reel so that is not a problem, but if it were in front of the reel it would also aid in this.

Second; and the main reason for the guide placement is to increase my flipping range by a couple of feet.
The only change I will make on the next one would be to increase the guide to a 10mm or maybe a 12mm double ft casting guide to provide a little more finger clearance between line and blank.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:18AM

Full explanation of the "Power Guide" for flip stiks at the show - Sunday 2PM seminar. It's not in the book - came up with the solution after publication. When, where, how, why, etc., will be covered.

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2009 10:27AM

Scott, I add the spinning guide to all my flipping sticks, I put the guide about 5 inches in front of my reel and the line no longer gets wrapped around the reel handle. I posted a photo of one if your interested in how it looks. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Herb Bickings

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 25, 2009 11:44AM

At the show Rich told me to put a #16 single foot ahead of the reel on a flipper.

Chuck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster