I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

winding check for Fuji DPSD
Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 11:41AM

I am building a spinning rod using a size 18 Fuji DPSD in a down locking position [www.mudhole.com]. The rod is split grip with no foregrip. The problem is I cant find a winding check to cap off the front of the seat because it is such a big opening. I usually use a small rubber check for baitcasting rods with no foregrip but none of them are big enough (circumference) to cover the size 18 reel seat opening.

Any suggestions? Remember this is no foregrip. I would like to keep the check to a small (length) profile like these if possible....[www.mudhole.com]

Thank you,

-Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: winding check for Fuji DPSD
Posted by: james bondurant (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:38PM

Hey Michael,

I have built a split grips as your describing and here is what I did:

Most of the guides/ hook ring/ butt cap were in a brushed stainless steel finish so I used the largest Anodized Aluminum Winding Check in silver that you can purchase from mudhole and did a vertical thread wrap so it just snugged up to the reel seat . These chesks are wide with a good taper. I then epoxied the space with a thread wrap going up the blank about a 1/4 inch. Looked good. Im not sure if this would cover the opening to the fugi seat your using or not. I wish these checks came in black or gunmetal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2009 02:56PM by james bondurant.

Date: February 10, 2009 03:16PM

Thanks for the suggestion James. I just talked to Mudhole and had them size one up for me and it looks like the size 14mm fits the outside diameter of the size 18 DPSD perfectly?

I could fill the gap between the inside of the check and the blank with a peice of eva foam sanded to fill the gap and not stick out any further than the check!!!!

I just ordered the winding checks. Thank you for the suggestion this should work perfectly!!!

-Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2009 04:11PM

Many companies are now offering seats that are intended to be used without a foregrip, such as the Pac Bay Minima type. As such, they now also offer very neat aluminum caps to finish off the front of the seat.

Date: February 12, 2009 12:02PM

Tom, I didnt know that. I will go look on Pac Bay's site now and see if I can find any info/pics of the aluminum cap they are offering. You say that "many" companies are now offering this? Who else do you know of that has caps for big spinning seats? You can e-mail them to me if you prefer. I would like to look at some of these. Javelin_2@hotmail.com

Thank you,

-Mike

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2009 10:31AM

Micheal,
Batson makes some trip rings sized to fit the spinning seats.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 15, 2009 12:53PM

You want to close off the end of the seat with a metal winding check. Unfortunately, it's a bit hit and miss finding a check properly sized to the blank with an appropriate outer diameter to fit the size 18 seat. I have worked around this by fitting a very thin EVA ring to the front, sanding it down to the seat diameter, then fitting a properly sized check on the end of this. No open end showing, no fuss trying to center an oversized check.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster