I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass spinning guides
Posted by: Andy Jones (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 07:57PM

As a general rule when building bass spinning rods is it preferred to use standard or high frame spinning guides. On a RX7 or RX8 822.5 I was thinking using Alconite guides. Should I use BYAG high frame spinning guides or BLVAG spinning guides? I was going to start with a 25, 16, 8 finishing the rod with size 5 or 6 fly guides

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass spinning guides
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:21PM

I use the BYAG guides and a smaller set , can't recommend a setup without knowing your reel size and line weight.

Date: February 08, 2009 08:29PM

The reel will be a 2500 series Shimano or equivalent. I will be using 20lb braid and 6-8lb flourocarbon. What do you mean by a smaller set?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 08:30PM by Andy Jones.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:37PM

Andy ; Measure across the reel spool face. Normally you would use half that diameter for the stripper guide size then work downward from there to get the correct line path. I use BYAG's and BLAG fly guides for the runners.

Posted by: Erik King (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:55PM

I just built a spinning set up on the Rx8 822.5 I use the Pacific bay BMHG high frame with the first guide being a 20 then a 12, then I switched to a pacific bay BSVHG 8, then a BFHG 7 and 6 then I switched to Fugi BLAG 5 and the rest 4's with a batson micro 4 tip. You would have to look at the guides very closely to notice any difference in guides. I took the rod out for the first time today and the first bass was a solid 4lb largemouth. The set up cast like a dream i am already planning to build another set up just like it but on the RX7 blank that i have. I hope this helps

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2009 08:02AM

Andy,

Read the New Guide Concept article in the library. I think it will answer your questions.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 11:48AM

Hi Andy,

Here's my plug for our stuff. Even if you don't go this direction, take a look at American Tackle's new Ringlock A-Frame guides. They have no equal and feature:

- Frames comprised of solid titanium alloy and SS316 material
- High frame ring location
- Lateral strut preventing frame twist
- Vector Angle crease at base to prevent frame collapse
- Recessed ring design protecting ceramic from impact
- Ringlock press-fit ring system with larger glue reservoir preventing ring loss
- Shorter foot print on blank
- Available in our thin Nanolite ring, an SiC equivalent
- Available in our economic thin Duralite ring

As I said they are the first of a kind adding our "anti-ring-loss concept" to durability and performance in a single foot spinning guide. Combined with our Ringlock fly guides, they'll fit into any concept of guide layout. Hope they can be one of your considerations.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.91.109.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 09, 2009 03:57PM

here, check out the weight of them. Then check out the price compared to Fuji.
[rodcomponents.hostrator.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Schrock (---.cinci.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2009 07:49PM

If you are going to tie a leader to the braid line I would not go smaller than size 8.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 09, 2009 08:16PM

Darrin, any further news on when the new guides will be available? Not seeing them anywhere yet.

Date: February 09, 2009 08:18PM

Tom, I had already read the article in the library about the new guide concept and plan on getting the back issue about the 27x at the expo. My main question was not stated very well. I am planning on buying a full set of sizes in one guide style to be able to pick proper ring sizing as I set up the guides. I was not sure what frame style was usually used, which from everything I have now read most builders I have talked to use the BYAG frame.

I called Darrin at American Tackle today to ask about the difference between Nanolite and Duralite ring materials since Nanolite is a little more money that I was planning on spending. He offered to send me some of the A-frame ring lock Nanolite guides in the larger sizes free of charge. Now that is awesome customer service!! He took plenty of time to explain the different rings, etc with me. Because of that I also plan on straying from Alconites on my next casting rod and try some Nanolite Ring-Locks on it. I really can't wait for the expo to personally shake his hand and say thank you.

Andy

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: February 10, 2009 01:55AM

Ted,
Mud Hole has them listed on their website.
George

Date: February 10, 2009 08:26AM

Ted, just do a search at Mudhole for NBA or DBA and the guides will show up.

Bill, there those guides are not listed on the weight website. I will try to see if I can get a good weight for them before I prep the feet. Were is a good place for a low cost but accurate scale?

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 10, 2009 10:14AM

Thanks, found them right after........ brain fart!

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 12:23PM

This would be the finest set up Batson has to offer and you wont be disappointed for sure.

XSB822.5
Rainshadow RX8 Bass Spin

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # XSB822.5-TC 6' 10" 1pc 6-14lb 1/8 - 5/8oz - Titanium Chrome
Butt Cap: HESGFB1.5S-350 1.5" High End Splitgrip Super Grade ID .350"
Trim: AWC389 Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HESGFB1.5S-350
Split Grip: HEFG3.5S-250 3.5" High End Foregrip Super Grade ID .250"
Trim: AWC389 Aluminum Winding Check Trim for HEFG3.5S-250
Reel Seat Body: BPSTG16 "Textured Gray Graphite Reel Seat Body
-Place back of reel seat 9"" inches up from butt threads down"
Reel Seat Hood: GTT16C-SN-TC Hood w/cushion Single Nut - TiCH Coated Chrome
Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Reel Seat Trim Ring: TRS16-TC Trim Ring for thread side of Spin Seat size 16 TiCH
Fore Grip: None
Winding Check: FBWC09.0 Rubber winding check for front of #16 seat
Hookeeper: XDSHKSS-TC Drop Shot Hookeeper
Tip Top: XTCPPCT06R04.5 ALPS SS316-RRD-P Top 06 TiCH Ring 4.5 Tube - TICH w/o Chrome
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XPTCFCG ALPS SS316 - TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Ring RRD
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XTCYTCG ALPS SS316 Y Guide TiCH w/o Chrome Single Foot with TiCH Zirconium Thin Ring

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XPTCFCG06 4"
2nd XPTCFCG06 8.25"
3rd XPTCFCG06 12.75"
4th XPTCFCG07 17.5"
5th XTCYTCG07 22.75"
6th XTCYTCG10 28.625"
7th XTCYTCG16 36"
8th XTCYTCG25 45"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:04PM

Hi Ted,

I see you found them, they just came in recently. They are incredible and really have no equal since their Ringlock feature sets them apart from all others. The height is similar the Fuji's old Y-frame design but Fuji's lack the extra bracing and the Ringlock Feature.

Good luck with the guides Andy, you basically got the last of my initial sampels, let me know how they work out.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster