I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

madiera thread
Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 03:20PM

Whats you guys opinon on madiera thread, seems I have read in here where people have trouble with the stuff, but I would like to try some to get more color options, if the stuff not to much trouble to work with. thanks scotty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: madiera thread
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 03:38PM

I haven't had any trouble with it but I haven't used it alot either.
Good stuff!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 04:10PM

For decorative wraps it is hard to beat. It wraps a little different and takes some getting used to. As far as guides go it seems to have a little more stretch so the tension needs to be increased a little. Just like anything a little practice will get you where you need to be. The color choice is second to none!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 05:05PM

Good thread. I use it a lot. Need to use a coat of CP because of the lubricant in the thread . There have been some reports of fish eyes and the like when CP is not used. Then some builders say they never use CP on Madeira. I wont take a chance because it's a one shot deal.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: February 08, 2009 07:53PM

This is the only thread that I have used so far except for metallic. I have no issues with it, It looks great and the only problems that I have with it are because I need practice, nothing that I can blame on the thread.
James

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:01PM

Very Popular. I have been using it for wraps and guides for a few years and have never had a problem. As with any sewing type thread, use CP as the're often coated with a lubricant for sewing machine use

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 10:06PM

Scotty,

I have never used Madiera but have used extensively a brand that is a direct competitor to Madiera - ISACORD-by Amann USA. They have over 315+- colors in 40 wt plus metallics, Pearlessences, and Metallic solids. They have 7 variations of GOLD metallic. Beautiful stuff. I will have a blank shaft at High Point with the colors I have chosen for my shop. I have used their metallics more sucessfully that Gudebrods. And definitely place TWO coats of CP before any epoxy finish as the manufacturer claims a 4.5% residual of the "slicky stuff" they use for the embroidery industry. Go to web site www.embroideryonline.com and you can see all the goodies. The ISACORD tab will get you to the main colors and the YENMET tab will get you to the metallics. This thread is more expensive that Madiera but isn't high quality in our custom rods the main issue.

Good luck and enjoy.

Charlie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster