I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Software
Posted by: Albert Albano (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 08:00PM

Any recommendations on some low cost software for making decals? After reading this months article I'd like to try my hand at making a few.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Software
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2009 08:06PM

Good publishing software can run many, many hundreds (even thousands) of dollars. But, you don't need that much just to make a decal. You simply need to be able to manipulate text and images. Most good word processing programs will do that nowadays. So you may already have all you need.

Having said that, you can buy Photoshop Elements for about $100 I think. With it, you'll be able to do about anything your mind can conceive.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 08:24PM

Microsoft Paint is included with most computers and should do the basics for you. you can always upgrade later if you need to.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 09:22PM

This will get you buy in a pinch if you do not have publishing software:

Download one of the two following free label software programs:

Texas Craft - Free Label Software
[www.papilio.com]

Select Design Pro Option - Free
[www.avery.com]

Select the size label you desire to use.

Import art and enter desired text to create the label you desire.

Or to work with existing image files and pictures -

Windows > All Programs > Accessories > Imaging

Assistance with graphic arts is linked to the Swampland Site.

Visit the Swampland Site to view details of available products that will be demonstrated at High Point by Bobby Feazel. You will not believe your eyes! They are indeed Electric!

Please take the time to read the News:

[swamplandtackle.com]

See available products for Rodbuilders:

[swamplandtackle.com]

View the samples - [www.swamplandtackle.com]

See handling and cutting information -[swamplandtackle.com]

See you at High Point!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2009 07:35AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 09:53PM

here a linux desktop will help you greatly

there is a program called GIMP and it is nearly as robust as photoshop. Truly an amazing program all for the cost of nothing but a little time learning how to use it and linux.

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: February 07, 2009 09:59PM

Gimp is available for windows users as well.
I use it often.
[gimp-win.sourceforge.net]

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 07:08AM

Best program for MAC users?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 07:48AM

Everyone is correct, you don't need expensive software to accomplish your goals. The biggest investment you have to make is in the time to get proficient with it.

Just for information, I use Corel Draw which can be obtained in versions costing less than $100.

Looking forward to meeting and helping anyone at ICRBE who may have questions.

Posted by: Fernando Torres (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:18AM

Hi All

I have never attempted to make a label,but was looking at what I have on my pc and came across MicoSoft Publisher and it has an option to create different types of labels, just
wondering if this would work for the labels as well.

Thanks
Fernando Torres
NERB in the making

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:36AM

Fernando

MS Publisher is a good choice. Remember; it's just a matter of investing the energy required to get as proficient as needed to accomplish you goals.

Good luck.

Date: February 08, 2009 09:52AM

The Mac will run any and all of the programs listed above, including Linux software.

I would suggest Quark Xpress, but it's pricey and overkill just to make decals.

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 11:12AM

i use photoshop cs3 and illustrator (have licenses through work) but a good all around graphics program that is free for windows users is "Paint .net"

having a program like illsutrator or corel is handy also because a google search for "free .eps" along with your choice of topic will usually turn up a bunch of scalable vector images of pretty much anything - that you can use in your images.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:07PM

Paintshop Pro

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: terry miller (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:30PM

This may be a dumb question but what do you use for the actual label. Is there a product that is like a sticker only transparent.

Date: February 09, 2009 08:01AM

Terry,

Do you take the magazine? If so, your question and all related information will be found within. Bobby has come up with some great media for decal use, but there are some do's and don'ts involved and you have to follow the instructions to the letter if you want to get good results. It's a great technique but one of those things where there is 1 right way to do it and 100 wrong ways to do it. Special care has to be taken in some areas or you're just going to waste expensive media.

Posted by: terry miller (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 10, 2009 07:58PM

I do subscribe to the magazine but the first issue I received was the last one. Is it a prior issue or the newest one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster