I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

carbon fibre
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2009 03:10PM

Does anyone plan on bringing any carbon fibre with them to the show to sell? I have looked at the vendors and did not see Sollar. I was hoping to be able to pick up some more while I was there.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: carbon fibre
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2009 03:17PM

Scott's Custom Rods or FishSticks is going to be your best bet for that kind of thing at the Expo.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 05:04PM

Thomas, I will not be bringing any sleeves to the show, it is just as easy to buy form Sollar. Thanks Scott

Date: February 07, 2009 05:34PM

thanks guys, I will put in an order with Sollar today. See you all at the expo

Tom

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2009 05:39PM

Riley Rods is an authorized Soller Composites distributor and we will be having all sizes, types and colors available (including the new ones!) We have and will be maintaining an inventory specifically for the rod builder. I'll post some pics of the new style sleeve process it is "Soft Rolled" eliminating the creases and makes layup much simpler. We will ensure it stays that way when it gets to you. Our online store will be up before the expo.

Stop by our booth for everything needed to make your own composite grips.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 05:40PM by Mike Pedersen.

Date: February 07, 2009 06:04PM

Mike,

Sorry I didn't mention you - didn't know you had it for sale.

I'm sure more than few guys will be taking a hard look at it at the Expo after seeing some carbon skin grips up close for the very first time.

Date: February 07, 2009 08:57PM

Mike, I will definately be coming to see you. can you shoot me an email to the house at tnginc@cox.net? I have a few questions for you and I don't want to take up bandwith.

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 07:15AM

How are you guys cutting the tubing? What the best way?

Date: February 08, 2009 08:25AM

I use scissors.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 08:44AM

I use utility shears but most decent heavy scissors are fine. The Kevlar is the only sleeving that gets a little tough to cut but $15 shop shears work as well as the $70 specialty scissors.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:05AM

We are talking about Texalium handles, correct? We have a cut off saw that will barely get through it! Any expounding on an alternate method is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 09:18AM

They're talking about the poured foam handles that are sleeved with the carbon material

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2009 05:31PM

I cut the carbon with a strait edge and razor blade (utility type).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster