I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

live lining blank suggestions?
Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.enter.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:08PM

I recently booked a striper trip to Raritan Bay in May and the guide said we would be live lining bunker for 20-30 lb striper. He uses Rogue rods exclusively on his charter. I told him I would like to build a rod for the trip. Problem is that rogue rod blanks are out of my price range. I have read other places that lamiglas and batson have very nice blanks for this application. Can anyone suggest any model numbers of blanks that will fit the bill. I plan on spiral wrapping the guides and would like a rod either 7' or 7'6" range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: live lining blank suggestions?
Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:47PM

I would be happy to suggest a few blanks for you to choose from in the Batson Line up. Are you tossing live baits,wire line trolling or Down rigger fishing them?

The first model that comes to mind would be the RCLB70L for tossing live bait.

Rainshadow® Composite Saltwater Blanks
This is our unique Rainshadow® Live bait saltwater blank series. These blanks incorporate our latest design concepts for
a truly high performance blank. Unlike all E-Glass blanks that are heavy and usually slow in blank action, the RCLB’s offer
extra fast actions and low overall blank weight. When our design team tackled this series we had to utilize a blend of EGlass
and graphite to achieve the desired results. Graphite material is used in the bottom 2/3rds of the blanks and then
E-Glass is used in the tip area. The result is a blank series that offers unbelievable lifting power and strength, with light
overall weight. By using E-Glass in the tip we produced the strength needed for the rigors of saltwater fishing, and the
fast tip action anglers were asking for.
Features:
• High tech blend of E-Glass & RX6 graphite • Extra-fast actions • Graphite butt provides unbelievable lifting power
• E-Glass tip provides extra fast action without compromising strength • Low overall blank weight • Clear Gloss finish
• Limited lifetime warranty
Saltwater Live Bait Blanks Featuring E-Glass And RX6 Graphite Blend
(Power Available: XL = Extra- Light, L = Light, ML = Medium Light, M = Medium) (Color Key: CG = Clear Glass)
Model Color Length Sections Line Wt. Lure Wt. Butt Tip Action Power Blank Wt.
RCLB70XL CG 7’0” 1 10-25 lb. N/A 0.810 7.0 X-Fast XL 4.70 oz.
RCLB70L CG 7’0” 1 15-30 lb. N/A 0.830 7.0 X-Fast L 5.89 oz.
RCLB70ML CG 7’0” 1 20-40 lb. N/A 0.880 7.5 X-Fast ML 8.24 oz.
RCLB70M CG 7’0” 1 20-50 lb. N/A 0.910 7.5 X-Fast M 10.01 oz.
RCLB80XL CG 8’0” 1 10-25 lb. N/A 0.915 7.5 X-Fast XL 6.27 oz.
RCLB80L CG 8’0” 1 15-30 lb. N/A 0.930 7.5 X-Fast L 8.17 oz.
RCLB80M CG 8’0” 1 20-50 lb. N/A 0.950 7.5 X-Fast M 10.53 oz.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 07:39PM

Have built several Striper rods on that Blank and have not had any complaints

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 12:20AM

I'd look at the Seeker CLB704 and the Calstar Graphiter GF700L also.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 09:47AM

I built a rod for the exact same task, Derrek, except that my trip was to the Cape May Rips rather than Raritan Bay. I used one of the Batson live bait blanks (I want to say it was the RCLB70ML, but I'm not 100% sure), and the finished result was great for livelining baits like spot and bunker. They're great blanks at a great price.

There's only one problem with building a dedicated live-bait rod: once you see how superior they are for fishing live bait, you'll never be able to use anything else. I was fishing small spot (about four inches long), and with braid and the live bait blank's very sensitive tip, I could feel everything. Give one of them a shot -- I think you'll like the results.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:58AM

Even more important, with that light, soft tip, you can see everything that your bait is doing. It's not hard to tell when a strike is imminent.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 11:40AM

If you can go long I'm really falling in love with this blank as well. Lacking a bit of power in the lower end but talk about a long live bait caster and the tip is premo perfect!
Rainshadow® Saltwater Jig/Boat Rod Blanks Featuring E-Glass & RX6 Graphite
Features:
• High tech blend of E-glass & RX6 graphite • New actions tailored to various jig/boat rod fishing applications
• Lighter overall weight vs. normal all e-glass boat rod blanks • Fast action tips without sacrificing strength • Clear G–loss finish
RCJB102ML CG 8’6” 1 12-25 3/4-3 0.700 7.0 Fast ML 6.06 oz
RCJB106ML CG 8’10” 1 12-25 3/4-3 0.725 7.0 Fast ML 6.30 oz
RCJB106M CG 8’10” 1 15-30 1-4 0.745 7.0 Fast M 7.95 oz.

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 12:48PM

Derrek, The most economical way around this situation is to take a hands on approch, and this is how I would do it.
Attend some of your local upcomming fishermen flea markets. You'll find alot of rodbuilding items (new /used) that can be inspected right on the spot with prices that end in a whisper.
Another thing you can do while your there if your budget minded is choose a conventional set up rod that YOU think will fit the bill ,change the guides to a spiral set up before your trip and see if you got any closer to the master rod you want to build. The cost can be as little as $20.00 maybe less.
Also, you can resell that rod at no loss to yourself. Good luck, Dennis J. Danku (Sayreville,NJ)
I

Posted by: Derrek Keller (---.228.ct.dialup.enter.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 04:22PM

Guys, I absolutely appreciate all of the input on the blank selection. I think after taking a look at the Batson blanks, you can't go wrong at the prices and the positive feedback. Batson blank it is . . . RCLB70XL. Karry, I will be sending an e-mail your way with some other technical questions. Hope you don't mind.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster