I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas LSJ783
Posted by: Mitch Leppelmeier (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 12:36PM

Any take on this blank for a river smallmouth rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas LSJ783
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 05, 2009 01:19PM

Like the length, but for me personally, I'd back down by 1 on the power. If it's available in a 782, that would be my preference.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 01:44PM

I concur, but do take care with the blank - it is very high modulus material. IMO, you can't beat the XMG series for the money.

Posted by: Michael Ortega (---.va.neustar.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:03PM

This blank is a good choice if your throwing small crankbaits. This blank has a very moderate action and medium to medium light power. I use this blank for shallow diving crankbaits, and small poppers. I bought it to use for worms and senkos based on the line and lure weight rating but that is not what this blank is built for. It is a great light crankbait blank for me, I have two of them built for that purpose.

I agree with Jim, the XMG's are some of the best blanks out there regardless of $$$.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:34PM

The moderate action scares me for how I use the rod. Is the XMG "Popping" series a faster bank. I know it only comes in 7' but I could live with that.

I thought that the LSJ781 might be alittle on the light side for power.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:46PM

XMG Popping blanks are WAY faster than the SJ blanks, I just built a LP843 and a LP844, very nice blanks.

Date: February 05, 2009 03:50PM

i was thinging about the LP842.

How do the XMG series compare to a St Croix SCV. I was also looking at the croix but for the $$$ i was leaning to the Lamiglas

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:36PM

ONLY the LSJ783 is moderate, the rest of the XMG Spin/Jig blanks ARE fast. IF you want to do 6'6", buy the LSJ842 and whack 6" off the butt.

You should also consider St Croix spinning blanks, med-light or medium power depending with an extra-fast action.

XMG blanks are a great value, but they do NOT compare to SCV blanks ... it just isn't a fair comparison in any respect.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.72.186.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 05:18PM

Can you describe why SCV blanks are so much better than XMG blanks? I'm still learning...

Thanks,
Rick

Date: February 06, 2009 07:39AM

how would a cut down LP843 0r LP844 compare to a 2S66MF. I have fished that before so i could use it as a reference point

Posted by: Patrick Rutledge (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: February 06, 2009 08:26AM

I hope the last two questions get answered as I would also really like to know. I got one more for all of you out there though, if the XMG is not as good as the SCV (I know the $$ difference) how does it compare to the SCII, SCIII, and SCIV? Thanks for all the great help on this site.

Patrick Rutledge

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 09:04AM

It is kink of like comparing apples, to oranges, to pomegranates. SCV, especially the new 2009 versions are some of the lightest, highest power to weight ratio blanks available. They use very high modulus graphite, with a carbon fiber scrim, and now a super high modulus SCVI material in the butt end. XMG is probably most similar to SCIV, a high modulus material without the carbon fiber scrim. SCII is a mid modulus graphite, which while building a very nice rod is no where near as high on the power to weight scale as the high modulus blanks in this discussion, I suspect it is pretty close to what many would call IM6. SCIII is a mid modulus between SCII and SCIV and probably pretty close to IM7.

Of course material is only part of the picture, what the blank designer does with it is also important. The good news is that both Lamiglas and StCroix blanks are well designed and you will be happy with blanks from either company.

A cut down LP 844 or LP843 blank would probably work well for you. They have extremely fast actions, so if you cut them down they would have a slower action, but still be pretty fast and compare well in power to a StCroix medium, the 844 a little more and the 843 a little less.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster