I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Peel 'n' Stick and PermaGloss
Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 02:31PM

I am waiting to hear back from St. Croix on this, but maybe someone here can enlighten me...
I put a St Croix peel 'n' stick decal on the rod. I covered it with 3 coats of CP, waited 24 hours, and just put the first coat of PG on. It looks like the PermaGloss attacked the CP. The surface got all krinkly-looking, but the decal appears to be fine underneath. Any ideas on what I did wrong or on how to save it? The other decal on the rod (a peel'n'stick from Decal Connection, applied with the same technique, came out great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peel 'n' Stick and PermaGloss
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:25PM

PG has a hot solvent in it, but even a single unthinned coat of CP is usually enough protect a decal from it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 03:27PM

her do some reading. This should answer your questions: [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 04, 2009 04:09PM

I think I got my answer (to the cause) from St Croix. Older decals (peel n stick) had/have a tendency to seep adhesive from underneath to the top of the decal. It could be the adhesive that is causing the krinkly-look. For this reason, St Croix has gone to the water slide on their current blanks and rods.
Would a finish epoxy be likely to "hide" the problem, and give a smooth appearance?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 04:56PM

What brand of Color Preserver did you use?

Date: February 04, 2009 05:20PM

Flex Coat

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 07:35PM

No...... a coat if finish is not at all likely to hide any decal issue.

DR

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 10:34PM

Did you put a a thine coat od thread finish down before you applied the decal? Also is the decal transparent and is the blank a flat black.?
Good Wraps Bob

Date: February 05, 2009 01:00AM

I did not puyt down a coat of finish first.
The blank is pearlescent black.
It is a transparent decal with white printing.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 02:54AM

I always put a thine/thine coat of PG down first. This well stop micro bubbles from forming and giving the decal a fogged looked. Send the guys at Decal Connection an email or call them I amsure they have a soultion for you.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Brent Glover (---.ncsecu.org)
Date: February 05, 2009 10:33AM

OK, so now a big question for a newbie.....have a decal that i ordered from mudghole (peel and stick) I am assuming....that i hope to put on my first rod build (in progress)......what are the exact steps in applying a decal (so as not to screw it up)....i hope to put it directly above the line keeper, which i will wrap in.......tips? thanks.

Date: February 05, 2009 10:55AM

Thanks for the tip, Bob. I'll try that on the next one.
My problem, however, is with the St Croix decal. I applied 3 coats of CP to protect it. When I put the PG over that, it appears that the CP wrinkled or rippled. The decal appears to be fine, underneath it all. Now I am just trying to figure out the best way hide or repair the ripples. I think that I will try applying a finish epoxy over it, hoping that the self-leveling characteristics will smooth things out a bit.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.172.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:02AM

Go to Decal Connection. Good info there.
I would use epoxy finish instead of Permagloss. A lot easier.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joseph C Phelps (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 04:32PM

When I apply a St Croix decal to the blank I rub the decal with a burnishing tool to get all the air bubbles out. I then put a lite coat of CP around the edges of the decal to cover any escaped addheasive, This has worked for me on hundreds of St Croix rods. Joe

Date: February 07, 2009 11:48AM

I applied a coat of Flex Coat, and the ripples have "disappeared". Looks good!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster