I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mebaru vs. Area Trout Blanks
Posted by: Tom Slater (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:04AM

Hey guys,

ok here's a question

how different do you think these two blanks would be?

and which do you think is more suited to casting casting small 2-5gram hardbodies but sometimes will need to cast plastics ranging from 1/32-1/8

T Russel Agnetha TR76A-XUL2......Length....Line Weight....Casting Weight......Action
Details:......................................................7'6''...........2-5lb....................2g-4g..................Fast

T Russel Mebaru TR74Mebaru-M......Length......Line Weight.......Casting Weight..............Action
Details:........................................................7'4''...............6lb.........................0.4-5g...................Super X-Fast

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mebaru vs. Area Trout Blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:36AM

From looking, I know I would prefer the 2nd one you list, but that's just me. Others may like something different.

Date: February 04, 2009 08:40AM

why is this so?

man i wish i lived in japan sometimes lol

so hard to buy a blank without feeling one

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:14AM

I find the super fast tip, similar to our American style Hot Shot blanks, allows for a much lighter lure to be cast while retaining good power in the butt.

The specs from the 2 blanks you list would indicate very different blanks. The 2nd one is more powerful, yet capable of casting lighter lures due to the faster taper and lighter tip.

Assuming they are made from the same material, comparing the butt and tip diameters might also give you some valuable clues.

Date: February 04, 2009 09:28AM

funny you say that tom

T Russel Agnetha TR76A-XUL2:

Tip Diam: 1.3mm
Butt Diam: 7.4

T Russel Mebaru TR74Mebaru-M

Tip Diam: 1.1mm
Butt Diam: 11.0mm

that would say to me exactly as you wrote. the bottom mebaru blank would still cast the light lures and the tip would fold down nicely. yet still retain some power in the butt

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 08:51AM

Tom,
Also looking at the butt diameter, all things being equal as far as the amount of graphite used, the larger butted blank will be considerably stiffer in the butt. The further the graphite is from the centerline of the blank the stiffer it naturally becomes. It's not a linear thing either, it really steps up quite quickly. The butt's wall thickness would be thinner, but it will be considerably stiffer.

Date: February 05, 2009 08:57AM

Thanks for the input spencer

judging by some of the input from here and on another forum

it seems the Mebaru blank is more suited to what i need

any other opinions are more than welcome

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.172.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:11AM

Tom:
You could have made this a lot simpler buy just calling one of the sponsors on the left, or even several. Plus you may just get a better price ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:04AM

Not necessarily Bill. Tom's down here in Oz. Tom, the Mebaru has a super fine tip to it, but it sounds rather like an ultralight popping rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster