I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pouring your own eva??
Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 03, 2009 10:27PM

hey all, so does anyone make their own?
if so hows it done and what products do you need?,
cheers!!
ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pouring your own eva??
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 12:32AM

If anyone knows where the EVA foam is imported from, I'd love to find out. Id's love to know if it's possible as well. I'd also ove to know a source for Hypalon in various colors in larger than teh finished sizes currently available.

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-206-178.myvzw.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 02:38AM

Bought some blocks for making poppers once, fella on the phone said he gets it from China and that's where everyone gets it from. IIRC, it was Sleazy Steve (Soggy Bottom Flyshop) and he mentioned large orders (big pieces sawn to size) to make profit...don't know if the place still exists. Not sure about EVA, but I had a relative that worked in a foam factory of some type for awhile in the Midwest, it was shut down do to safety issues. Guess foam making is like that, it has some pretty nasty components to it and the factory was using stuff that is actually illegal to even have inside the states.

You may have success finding the supplies, I doubt it though. I suspect it's largely a China import in made forms, possibly due to the components used to manufacture it.

I think it may be cheaper (and safer) to find a source for large blocks.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 08:55AM

IT's used in various mats for gymnastics, judo, etc. IT comes in vaious thicknessess and hardness. I would love to know where to get more Customgrip. I guess if I would look hard enouhg I would be able to find out.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: February 04, 2009 11:07AM

I'd love to find a little softer version than most of it that's out there. I guess I could cut up a gym mat.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 11:56AM

The hypalon is just a wonderful handle material, nothing beats the feel of it, if only it were 1/2 the weight with the same properties.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 04, 2009 12:24PM

Has any one ever played with this stuff [www.tapplastics.com];

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (77.239.254.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 03:26AM

Bill,
I think that's basically the same stuff as foam arbors (reel seat 'unders') are made of. Roughly the same as "Great Stuff" foam insulation that you can buy at Home Depot / Lowes etc.. .

Posted by: joseph arvay (---.sub-75-207-61.myvzw.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 05:21AM

Bill, some folks have used expansion foams like the one in your link for making plug bodies. Tackleunderground (lure making forum) is a good place to get info on that sort of product.

Guys, if your speaking of EVA in terms of the "sandal foam" that's used in flip-flops/beach sandals, it comes in every imaginable hardness, density, and formula. Myriad of colors as well, we like it in the fly tying arena for poppers and other foam head creations. Things may have changed, but it's still likely a China import thing and blocks are most common form to start from. Don't know if you gents are looking for long pieces or blocks that can be cored and used like cork rings.

Website mentioned in previous post (not affiliated) is still around, just one of many who sells the blocks and coring supplies. Any pipe, sharpened and turned into a block, will provide one with uniform rings to make a handle. My butts are made just this way from popper foam blocks, occasionally a brown sandal from Walmart will find it's way in there as well. Harder stuff sands and shapes better, softer varieties are a bit more frustrating and require patience.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (138.239.74.---)
Date: February 05, 2009 08:45AM

Billy,

You need to check out [www.rueylung.com.tw] its out of Taipei, Taiwan. They list EVA in a wide variety of densities from 1.3-1.7 lb/ft^3 up to 13.1-13.7 lb/ft^3. Most types are available in custom colors. For several type a wide variety of colors are stocked ( [www.rueylung.com.tw]). The question is what density would be good for us?

Dave

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:31AM

Ken:
The x- 30 is listed as a 2 LB density. A 2 part mix. Maybe it can be tinted ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (77.239.254.---)
Date: February 06, 2009 03:59AM

Bill -
I don't know but I think it will still be a hard foam rather than an EVA / Hypalon "soft foam". More like people are using to pour handle blanks and over sleeving with fiberglass/graphite.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 06, 2009 03:53PM

Bill, That's a urethane foam like the flex coat arbors and the foam grips that people have been poring

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rusty Byrley (---.houston-05rh15-16rt.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 05:23PM

For urethane, Taxidermists use the two part stuff all the time to pour fish forms. They also use bees wax for a release agent on those forms.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster