I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Application of ThreadMaster II
Posted by: Patrick Marshall (---.bayarea.dialup.o1.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 08:12PM

Hey, what's the best way to apply ThreadMaster II to rod-thread wraps without getting a gazillion tiny bubbles in the application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Application of ThreadMaster II
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 09:01PM

Start with no bubbles Patrick.

Mix SLOWLY and evenly, then apply with a brush is what I do, force the air from the brush by loading and wiping the epoxy into it, then just pick up some finish and lay it on the wrap as the rod turns nice and evenly. You shouldn't have any bubbles and definitely not a gazillion. TM lite is thin and will release any bubbles that do come up. IF not, you can warm the wrap a little and force them to release by holding a lit cigarette lighter along side the wrap as the rod turns being careful to NOT overheat the finish.

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2009 09:31PM

Don't brush the finish around - brushing creates bubbles. Lower the brush to the wrap and rotate the rod one revolution. That's all you need to do.

Posted by: James Willard (208.46.72.---)
Date: February 04, 2009 02:36PM

Also, keep the bottles in your pocket for about half an hour prior to use, it warms it up enough that the majority of the bubbles don't even exist in the first place, doing this I did not have one bubble in my entire first rod, no heating the finish after applied, especially with this awesome threadmaster lite.
James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2009 09:35PM

Keep in mind you have to be wearing the pants for this to work.

I once suggested this to a rod builder and he put the bottles in the pockets of a pair of pants that were hanging in his closet. He was pretty upset when things didn't work as I had told him. But... wasn't wearing the pants.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.172.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 11:15AM

That's funny LOL LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John V. Holohan (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2009 08:22PM

After mixing the the epoxy as stated above, I slowly pour the epoxy onto a piece of aluminum foil. I then take a straw and blow lightly onto the puddle where I see bubbles. Apply with a brush (or spatula) as stated above. I personally use an alcohol torch to "heat" the wraps after coating to dissipate any bubbles in the wraps, quickly passing the flame under the wraps as the rod is spinning on the drier.

Oh, yeah- I also place the bottles in my pants pockets while wearing the pants. I haven't tried the "non-wear" method yet! (God, that's funny!)

Good luck and let us know how you make out. That Threadmaster's good stuff.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster