I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps printer ?
Posted by: kevin knox (---.transcendbroadband.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 08:54AM

I have bought an ALPS MD_1000 printer on E&*^. I have it hooked up and will print text, but I can't get it to print a logo. Anyone have this problem and a fix? Also, has anyone hooked this printer up to a Mac? I am looking to do this also.

Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps printer ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2009 10:12AM

A Mac will generally work with anything and already has the drivers installed. However, being that is an older printer, you may have to obtain one, if such a thing exists.

The new article in RodMaker on making decals may well make the ALPS decal method obsolete, however. Anything you could do on the ALPS, and more, can now be done on your own ink jet ofrlaser printer. This included true metallics.

Posted by: stan lothamer (---.aubnin.btas.verizon.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:16PM

alps had one printer for pc and another for mac the cables are different. wont inerchange. stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:40PM

You also have to have the right printer driver the one from Micro"?!%^& does not work well with the Alps, if you installed the right driver make sure that it is selected and not the Micro"?!%^&, you'll see a little (ms) after the driver from Micro"?!%^&, if you have XP email me I'll send you the new driver.
Find a source for cartridges and buy as many as you can afford their getting real scarce.
If the one you got is for a PC it will not work with a Mac.
Also do a search here about Alps printers all dates you'll get a lot more info and details for using your printer.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:45PM

To add to Tim's post: I have an Alps 1000. It works way better on Windows 98SE. I have a lap top just for this purpose. Get the Alps driver also, It's not available for online download.

Bill in WV

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 02:16PM

the older MD1000s came three ways one for Windows 95-98, one for a Mac and a third that was set up to be used on either it did call for adding I think spelling is correct an Scussi card to the mac and it did cost a couple of hundred more, today I doubt any new Mac will work with the alps and Vista is a complete write off
The new method in Rod Maker may soon be the standard it appears it will do anything you can think of, when we started with the Alps years ago the big problem was finding the right paper to make the decals, with this article I am sure many will be off in search of new alternatives which will help any and all looking to make their own decals.
John

Date: February 03, 2009 04:57PM

Thanks for the replies. I have an old lap top that I am currently set up on. The manual says that I would need a MAC module to plug into the printer. Im not gonna spend any more money on this. I don't have my new mag yet. Can metallics be printed? I guess I will be relegated to printing text only and then utilizing DC for graphics.

Kevin

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 05:12PM

John B

You could be right about the new method for making decals. The process that has been worked out by several of us, as detailed in the latest issue of Rodmaker Magazine, can now be done by most people who have average computer skills and a home inkjet or color laser printer as long as they can follow the procedures. This means that now most rod builders can not only print their own decals but they can print them with metallic gold and metallic silver as well as the most "shocking" holographic prints. This opens up many possibilities as you suggested ,such as the ability to greatly customize every decal with things like dates, seriel numbers, pictures etc.

I look forward to meeting you and everyone else at the big show where I will be set up in the Swampland booth ready to demonstrate printing, installation and graphic design on my laptop. Please bring your sunglasses in case you wish to see the decals in the sunlight.

Date: February 03, 2009 05:56PM

Bobby and John, you guys are killin me. Right now, my postal worker is home reading my magazine and he will not give it to me until he is done! You are about 1 month late on the article as I just bought this heap of rubbish for hundreds of dollars weeks ago. Now Im finding out that print cartridges are in short supply, printing capacity is limited and it won't work on my brand new Mac.

Other than that, it was an outstanding buy! LOL.

Kevin

Date: February 03, 2009 06:19PM

Kevin

Sorry for the timing, but don't despair, you can save enough to make it up in quick time.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 03, 2009 06:20PM

I just got mine today and looking forward to High Point even more. Bobby Any info on which printer inks are useable?? I haven't been able to find out which type ink the HP cartridges have in them!! Great article!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2009 06:38PM

Can you imagine how hard it was to sit on this for almost a month!

See it all in Rodmaker and watch it happen at the ICRBE!

Power Up!!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

News on the Electric Decals:

[swamplandtackle.com]

View Samples: See the real thing in High Point!

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Please wear proper eye protection and dark shades when approaching the Swampland Booth!

See You There -

Mr. Electric Micro and the Swamp Boyz

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 06:58PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: February 03, 2009 06:38PM

Mike

Please wait until the big show before you jump in, lots more information will be available.

Date: February 03, 2009 06:53PM

You guys are killing me. Now I have to put the ALPS up for sale. I will loose my shirt, but those labels are beautiful.

Kevin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster